Chapter 5

They arrived at the restaurant before she even realized it. It was a small little charcuterie bistro, perfect for brunch. They snacked on fresh fruit, cheese, and a couple of croissants. "So tell me about this meeting I'm crashing," Rayne asked as she picked up a strawberry.

"Well, this particular customer is seeking some older Irish relics, from the Celtic period." Liam continued to talk without noticing how much Rayne's attention had peaked. "They're particularly interested in swords. This meeting is to find out exactly what they are looking for and if it even exists. It isn't uncommon for buyers to search for mythical objects that only exist in lore. How's your Celtic mythology? Can you be my expert today?" He raised his eyebrows when he realized she had stopped eating and was staring intently at him. "Rayne, did I say something wrong?"

"Sorry, I guess it never occurred to me that people would look for mystical weapons. Is this a new customer or one you've met before?" She tried to quickly divert Liam's focus. This is why Cailleach wanted me here, it's personal, Rayne thought to herself.

"No, I've never dealt with this particular customer. He came as a referral from a previous client though. They spoke highly of him. Speaking of, we had best get to the hotel." Liam stood and gave her his hand to help her up.

"We're meeting him at a hotel?" She asked, arching her eyebrows.

"Yes, it's actually more common than you think when you have out-of-town or even out-of-the-country clients. I don't actually live here myself, remember? We are meeting him at my hotel actually, in one of the meeting rooms. Maybe afterward, I can steal you away to my room for the evening?" Liam winked and smiled broadly at her again. "We could practice that nickname."

Rayne flushed again as they walked down the sidewalk to the Langham Hotel. She was in awe of the hotel. The lobby was posh with murals and a winding staircase off to one side. It was huge and she felt as if she would be swallowed up. "Ah, Mr. Andersen, here for your 4 o'clock meeting with Mr. Klen?" the desk clerk asked.

"Yes, Richard, Ms. Morgan, and I will both be attending the meeting. Please send up a bottle of your best champagne and bring Mr. Klen and his associates when they arrive." Liam shook Richard's hand, then took Rayne's hand and led her to the boardroom.

Liam led her down the hall passing several sets of double doors that all look the same. When they arrived at the boardroom doors, Liam pulled them open. Inside was a long table with place settings for five - two on the window side and three on the side near the door. There was a tripod with a blown-up photo of various Celtic swords. Rayne began looking at the photos. She recognized three of the weapons: Caladbolg, Fragarach, and Claidheamh Solius. There were also a few daggers she didn't recognize and at the very bottom near a red question mark, was the Cauldron of Inspiration.

Liam walked up behind her, startling her a bit. "Recognize anything? Do you know if any of these are even real?" He placed his hands on her hips and leaned in to nuzzle her neck. What was it about him that seemed so familiar, so comfortable, she wondered to herself.

"Not all of them, but I do recognize a few. Most lost to legend with very few details. Some are from Arthurian mythology, not fully Celtic but actually early Britannia. Those eras often overlap in lore but were quite separate historically. Of course, no one really knows if Arthur was even real. No evidence has ever truly been verified." Rayne turned to look into Liam's eyes. "Do you know any of them?

"Yes, a few aren't Celtic, but Norse in lineage. This one here is Gram, the sword of Sigurd who slew Fafnir the dragon," He pointed to a gold sword with an etched dragon on the blade. "This one is Hǫfuð, the sword of Heimdallr, the keeper of the Bifrost. They have Laevateinn listed, but it isn't just a sword. It can also be a wand or arrow made of mistletoe, said to be guarded in the Underworld by Hel." Liam had a far-off look in his eyes, then quickly turned back to Rayne. "I had started doing research," he added quickly.

"Looks like you're a bit of a Norse mythology expert, dear," she winked at him as she heard the door being opened as Richard delivered Mr. Klen and his associates to the room.

"Thank you, Richard. Mr. Klen, I'm Liam Andersen and this is my associate, Ms. Morgan. She's a mythology expert and here to help me find what you need." Liam was shaking hands all around, but Rayne just nodded. She did not like to touch strangers, especially strangers that were looking to take items from her homeland. Mr. Klen introduced his associates, Mr. Stewart and Mrs. Lau. He did not explain their reasons for attending. This absence of information made Rayne uncomfortable, and she could tell by the look on Liam's face that it didn't sit well with him either.

"So Mr. Klen, what exactly are you hoping to find? What needs do you have?" Liam's question seemed to offend Mr. Klen. He seemed to puff up a bit in his response.

"My need is none of your concern," he blustered, "However, my hope is to find Fragarach and the Cauldron of Inspiration. Both are famed for their magical properties." Mr. Klen had small beady eyes that seemed to glisten at the mention of these objects. "Ms. Morgan, since Mr. Andersen claims you to be an expert, tell us what you know of these treasures." He leveled his gaze at Rayne. Liam too turned towards her with an apologetic look in his eyes.

"Well, Mr. Klen, do you believe in the Fae?" Rayne paused for his response.

"Of course not, those are silly children's stories of fairies and nymphs," he scoffed at her.

"Then Mr. Klen, what you seek does not exist. Fragarach, also called the Answerer, was said to have been forged in Gorias, one of the cities in Tír na nÓg. The sword was a gift to Nuada Airgedlámh, who was the first king of the Tuatha dé Danann. Some say he was a Celtic God, others claimed he was an Elf. Either way, the sword is fiction." Rayne took a sip from her glass, steeling herself for the next lie she must tell. It was extremely warm in the room. She looked briefly at the wall above Liam's head and noticed something flash golden-green. She stared a moment longer and was able to make out a rune that had been emblazoned on the wall - Kaunaz, illumination, and knowledge. Well, that explains my difficulty lying, Rayne thought.

"What of the Cauldron, Ms. Morgan? Some have claimed to have seen it with their own eyes. It is believed to be able to heal illness and deformity." Mr. Klen's eyes had a hunger in them now.

Rayne felt very uncomfortable and a bit dizzy. She noticed Mr. Stewart had moved a bit closer to her seat. His watchful gaze made her uncomfortable. He seemed to be focused on the necklace, that she had been twisting in her fingers. She took a shallow breath and turned to Mr. Klen. "According to the Welsh script, The Mabinogi, Ceridwen tried to use the Cauldron to improve her firstborn son's looks. Her attempts did not go as planned and she was not successful. Again, you speak of an artifact that predates Arthurian legend. As I was just explaining to Mr. Andersen before your arrival, no conclusive proof of that legend has ever been found. You are seeking fairy tales, Mr. Klen, stories passed down around a campfire from nomadic tribes that were eventually scattered with the invasion of the Romans and Christianity." She finished, shaking her head at Mr. Klen. "If Celtic weaponry is what you seek, I'm sure Mr. Andersen could locate them, and I could certify them, but children's tales and legends are simply not possible, sir."

Mr. Klen looked to his associates and spoke in a harsh guttural language she didn't recognize. When Mr. Stewart reached for his glass, Rayne noticed a Solomon's knot tattoo on his wrist. She felt a cold shiver run down her spine. The woman, Mrs. Lau did not speak but seemed to be staring intently at Rayne. Her gaze made Rayne uncomfortable and she instinctively reached for her necklace.

Liam broke the tension finally. "Mr. Klen, was there anything else I might be able to help you find?" He stood up to imply the meeting had run its course.

Mr. Klen shook his head, "No. I guess we will search elsewhere. Thank you, Mr. Andersen, Ms. Morgan." He nodded his head but did not extend his hand this time. He and his associates left the room quickly.  

Author's Notes: A little more information on Rayne and some hints about Liam.  Any guesses on what Mr. Klen and his associates are up to?

As always, please follow, vote, and comment, my lovelies!