Chapter 38

They all sat in shocked silence. Liam finally turned to Hel, "Why did it call her mother?" his voice breaking as he spoke. "What does she want from her?"

Hel sat across from her father and reached for his hand. "This creature steals unborn children. Perhaps because Rayne is connected to the dead, it saw something in her spirit?" She looked at Nimuë, "I believe it is manipulating her to believe it is the child you both have lost."

He paused for a moment, then stood, "What do we do now? How do I reach her?" He looked at his daughter waiting for her permission to enter her lands.

"We must establish an anchor here with both your physical bodies first. Take me to her." Liam led the way to their chamber. Rayne seemed so pale and fragile against the sheets of their bed. Maab was with her, moistening her lips with the herbal tea again. She looked as if she had been crying. She seemed surprised when Liam entered, Hel and Nimuë following him.

"What news do you bring," Maab asked in a curt tone. She looked back to Rayne and ran the cloth across her lips and cheeks. "The girl is fading, I fear. It's as if she wants to die." Maab choked.

Liam put his hand on Maab's shoulder, "She doesn't want to die, she's being tricked. The gello is draining her life from her." Maab stared at him with her mouth pressed in a hard line, "I'm bringing her home, Maab. Please trust me." Her eyes softened.

"I know you will do all you can, Liam," she whispered as she stepped back from the bed. "How do I help, Nimuë?" she asked, turning to her friend.

Nimuë had closed the curtains and lit white candles. She held out a single green candle to Maab, "Will you be their anchor? I cannot connect to Hel's realm, and that is where the child is holding Rayne's soul." Her eyes were rimmed with tears. This was the second time her daughter was in danger and she could not help her again. Her face was creased with worry and grief. She turned to Liam. "Lay in the bed with her. I am going to bind your hands with this ribbon. It should help you connect to Rayne telepathically once you are there." Once Liam had laid down and she had wrapped the ribbon around their hands she softly spoke a spell in Gaelic, "lig dá mbanna fanacht gan bhriseadh," She smiled weakly at Liam, "Bring my daughter home."

Hel once again raised the illusion of Niflheim, but this time, she led Liam, as his own spirit left his body and followed her. His corporeal form remained on the bed with Rayne. In his spirit form, he returned to his God self. He was Loki once more. Hel led him down in the darkness, and spoke as they walked, "You knew you might never be able to leave here? Why did you still come?" She did not turn to him but continued on.

"I love her," Loki said, "I can't explain it daughter, but she is my destiny." Hel paused to look at her father. She smiled at him, then pointed. "She is there." As Loki walked toward Rayne, he heard Hel say, "Mother was right, you have changed." Then she vanished.

Loki walked steadily towards Rayne and the child. Rayne, I'm here - he pushed his mind towards hers. You don't belong here, my love, come with me. He saw the child lift her head and howl. Rayne stroked the girl's hair but lifted her head as well. Look at me, ástvinur, I love you. Come with me. Loki continued to move toward them. He came around in front of Rayne and knelt before her. The child gripped Rayne and tugged at her brown hair. "Don't take my mommy," she whimpered, "she loves me."

"Child, she isn't your mommy," Loki said softly. "She doesn't belong here." He reached out a hand toward Rayne and the child. The little girl scratched at him, her fingers sharped and cut him. He felt his flesh rip even though he was only spirit and pulled his arm away. "How are you doing that? What do you want from her?" He demanded.