Chapter 27

The next day, Liam and Rayne worked on her sword and hand-to-hand combat training. She was a quick study, and soon she was keeping pace with Liam's movements easily. "Perhaps you are just too familiar with one another," Maab said as she approached the training field. "Let's see how you fair fighting together with others." Three heavily armed elves stood beside her. This is going to be fun, Rayne smiled as she projected her thoughts to Liam. He smiled and nodded at her. Maab and her elves moved to separate Liam and Rayne from one another, but they circled in the center, backs towards each other. Liam held Lævateinn and heard Rayne say ice in his head. He swung the sword catching the first elf across his breastplate, the cut freezing the armor. Rayne advanced on Maab and heard Liam's voice say fire. As she swung Claidheamh Solius it became ablaze with cold fire. Maab blocked it with her staff. Each move the elves made was countered by Liam and Rayne. They warned each other when an opponent was behind them. They cast spells for each other and held their ground.

"Enough!" cried Maab. "That was perfect, you two! Your bond is strong, you have learned how to work as one." She motioned for them to follow her to the gardens. Liam and Rayne sent their weapons away and held hands as they walked. The gardens had been prepared for the Samhain festivals and a large bonfire was being prepared on the low hill. Tonight was the Witches Ball, with a feast and dedications to prepare for tomorrow night.

Liam looked at Rayne, "May I?" he winked at her. She nodded and blushed. He kissed her deeply and when she opened her eyes he was in a finely tailor emerald green shirt with silver accents and black pants. Her dress was an emerald jewel-toned ball gown complete with silver beadwork. She gasped. It was the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. He kissed her ears and made small emerald teardrop jewels appear on them. Last but not least, he touched her neck and made her grandmother's necklace appear, shining in the fading light. "Thank you, it's beautiful!" she kissed him, giddy with joy.

He smiled at her, "You're beautiful, the gown pales in comparison, my dear." She blushed at his compliment. The garden had come alive with fae, elves, and humans alike, feasting and dancing. "May I have this dance, my love?" Liam stretched out his hand to Rayne. She took his hand and they began to waltz across the floor together. He held her close, looking into her eyes as they floated across the floor. It felt like the entire world had fallen away and it was just the two of them lost in the music.

When the song finally did stop, they heard a round of applause. Apparently, everyone had been watching them dance. Rayne blushed as they took a slight bow, then headed to their seats. Her mother sat at the head of the feast. Dilis was perched on the back of her mother's chair. The Morrigan tapped her staff on the floor, and the room fell silent. "Tonight we celebrate the thinning of the veils. We welcome our lost loved ones and offer them respite and food. Yet on this night, we also have more to celebrate. It is with great pride that I announce the engagement of my daughter, Rayne Morgan of the Raven Clan to Liam, the God Loki of the Jötunn and Aesir." The room broke into applause again and shouts of congratulations.

Rayne smiled and looked at Liam. How did she know? He flashed a mischievous grin at her, Darling, I'm a bit old-fashioned, I had to get her permission before I even proposed. That's why the lake was set up, but then well... Rayne laughed out loud, making her mother give her a stern look. She squeezed Liam's hand and smiled back at her mother. She saw her mother's expression falter and tears form in her eyes. Before she could ask what was wrong, she felt a cold hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see her father's form standing next to her. "May a father have a dance with his daughter?" his voice was just barely a whisper. Tears sprang to her eyes as she rose to take his hand. She glanced back at Liam who just smiled, and let go of her other hand.