Chapter 42

Rayne stood in a dark field, the wind howling around her. The skies let loose a torrent of rain that struck her skin like tiny daggers. She could hear the voices, but she couldn't see where they were coming from. Intermittent flashes of lightning showed only trees and far-off mountains on the horizon. "What do you want from me?" she screamed. "Why am I here?"

Her answer came in the form of her arms being violently pulled away from her sides, and her body being lifted from the ground. She hung suspended above the ground with the wind and rain tossing her around as if she were a child's doll. She kept screaming.

Liam was startled awake as Rayne thrashed in the bed next to him. "Rayne, wake up love, wake up," he shook her shoulders and pulled her against his chest. Her eyes fluttered open wild with fear. "Shh, love, you're safe. I'm here, ástvinur," he continued to reassure her softly.

Rayne clutched his arms, still shaking. She slowly realized she was in the bed with Liam. She listened to his voice and slowed her breathing. Once she had calmed down a bit, Liam asked if she could explain what happened. She told him about the clearing and the voices, and how they had tried to pull her apart.

"We will visit your mother before we go to the caves," Liam said, still holding Rayne tight. "Try to rest, love." After a while, exhaustion won and she slept.

In the morning, they met Maab and her mother in the great hall for breakfast. Rayne recounted the dream and her training with Lily, including what Lily had said about being an elemental and going to meet with Sean Dóiteáin today.

"She said what!?" Nimuë yelled. Her reaction surprised and even frightened Rayne. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled," she took an unsteady breath. "You must not speak of this outside this room. If what the sprite says is true, you could be in grave danger until your powers are fully manifested. What are The Fates doing?" She threw a worried glance at Maab, "What do you know of the dragon?"

"He is ancient, Nimuë, perhaps older than Merlin himself," Maab spoke with reverence. "Sean Dóiteáin is not to be trifled with." She turned to Rayne and Liam. "Are you certain this is who the sprite told you to seek out?" Her face was creased with worry.

They both nodded. "She was very clear on where to find him and gave his name, however, she did not tell us he was a dragon." Rayne clung to Liam's hand, trying to fight down her own fears. All her life she had wanted to see a real dragon, but now, the realization of how dangerous it was made her nervous. We do this together, darling - Liam reassured her.

"Very well," her mother sighed, "Might I suggest enchanting your armor to be fireproof before you leave," she added with a slight grimace. "Remember to bow to him. If you do not, he will take it as a sign of disrespect. He won't care if you don't know any better. And for the Gods sake, do not lie to him - especially you Liam. He will know who you are immediately. Your illusions will not affect nor impress him."

After taking her mother's advice about their armor, Liam and Rayne began their trek into the woods beyond the lake. Lily blew her a kiss as they passed, then dove back into the waters. The denser the woods became, the more nervous Rayne became. She had to stop a few times to catch her breath, and Liam held his hand out to help her as the terrain became rocky and unstable.

Liam paused and held up his hand. Do you notice that - he asked Rayne.

I don't hear anything, Liam.

That's exactly my point. It is too quiet. Even the insects are silent. He looked ahead, we must be close now. Stay near me, love.

At the next ridge, they could make out a large cavern. The air was thick with a sulfur stench and something else - death, it smelled of death.

"About time you got here little one!" A deep voice boomed. "Ahh, you brought the Trickster with you as well. Lily said you were inseparable." As Rayne listened, she felt drawn to the sound. It was the same feeling she had when she first spoke with Lily. "Oh the magic is strong in you little one, this shall be fun," the dragon chuckled. "Might want to take a step or two back," he warned. They did as he said and stepped away from the entrance.