Chapter 48

A Visit to the Nine Realms

Nimuë sat quietly listening to Liam and Rayne recount the training with Gaoth an Iarthair and the revelation that they must now travel to see the Sons of Ivaldi. They both looked at her, waiting for some kind of reaction. Neither of them expected her to laugh.

"Oh this is priceless," she laughed. "The God of Mischief has been caught in his own tricks!" She roared in laughter again, dabbing at her eyes. "I'm sorry, really, it's just too damn funny, you have to admit it." She tried to calm herself as Liam stared at her, eyes bulging.

She managed to regain a bit of composure as Liam spoke, "I realize the inherent comedy here, but I also worry about the risk. While the brothers have no love for me, the other dwarves would prefer to see me dead, even if it is justifiable." He stiffened slightly and added, "Not to mention, that they might also just decide to take my head this time without asking questions first."

"Then I suggest you do not run into Brokk and Eitri," Nimuë replied. "Additionally, I would maintain your human form whenever possible. That might help as well," she smiled at him, still suppressing her giggles. "So, when do you leave?" she asked, looking toward Rayne.

"In the morning, I suppose. I need to sleep after today. This was much harder than the other three elements so far." Rayne reached out and took Liam's hand. "I think we will take a small dinner in our room and then turn in, mother." Her mother nodded and hugged her briefly. They headed back to their chambers.

They ate in silence. Rayne was still too lost in her thoughts from the storm, and Liam was worried about their trip to Nidavellir. He looked up when he heard the water in the shower begin to run. He quietly went and knocked on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," she replied.

Liam stepped into the room, undressed, and joined her in the shower. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her hair. "What's wrong, elskede mín?" Rayne leaned against him, not answering for a few moments. He turned her around to face him, "Rayne, what is it?" he pressed for an answer.

She reached up to trace the line of his face, lingering on his jawline. "I'm not sure what you could see after I went back to the top of the cliff, but I merged with a thunderstorm and it was so angry." she paused for a moment, trying not to cry again. "It made me angry, I couldn't stop my rage and then my sadness about...about the child we lost." The tears rolled down her cheeks now, no matter how much she tried to stop them.

Liam pulled her against his chest and stroked her hair, his own tears falling. "I'm so sorry, my love. I wish I could take this pain from you."

She pulled her head back to look at him, wiping away a tear from his cheek, "I know. It helps to know I'm not the only one still grieving. It makes me feel less crazy."

"You're not crazy. The grief comes in waves, and we will probably feel it until our lives end." He bent to kiss her softly. "The loss of a child does not leave you. We honor her memory and hope for the future together, my love. Now, let me take care of you," he said softly as he began to wash her hair.

Rayne felt her shoulders relax as his hands massaged her head, neck, and shoulders. They lingered under the water, washing each other. They would occasionally kiss and embrace, but neither felt the need to go farther. When they finished, Liam wrapped her in a towel and carried her to the bed. She dried her hair with magic, and they snuggled under the blankets together. "Thank you," Rayne whispered as she kissed his cheek.

"Always, my love, always," he said softly, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her tight against his chest. "Now rest."

When they had both eaten and dressed, Liam led Rayne to the top of the hill near the palace. "I'll need to change first," he said, shimmering into Loki's form wearing traditional Viking armor, his hair long and in braids now. "Hold tight, elskede mín. We will need to travel first to Asgard before going on to Nidavellir." Liam wrapped his arms around Rayne and called out, "Heimdallr, open the Bifröst please!" They were both suddenly bathed in a kaleidoscope of rainbow hues. Despite closing her eyes, Rayne could still see the colors flashing by, and the sound was deafening.