Chapter 9

When they reached Liam's penthouse Rayne asked him for a piece of paper and if she could borrow his laptop. He handed her both and watched as she sketched out a picture of the man they knew as Mr. Stewart and Mr. Klen. Then she sketched the Solomon's knot she had seen on Mr. Stewart's wrist. When she finished, she began looking up various websites on the knot and other Celtic lore. At first, her fingers flew across the keyboard, but then Liam realized she had stopped typing even though the computer was still typing. Rayne snapped out of her daze when she heard his sharp inhale of breath. "I think it's time we had that talk, but first we need a safe space." Rayne got up and walked to the large glass windows. She passed her hand over the glass and spoke, "Tearmann." A silvery door appeared in the glass. Rayne picked up the notebook and computer, then took Liam's hand and walked him through the silver door. It closed behind them looking just as if they were staring at the window.

The room shimmered and had two soft but simple chairs with a table between them. Rayne set the items on the table and motioned for Liam to sit in the chair across from her. "So where did the knives come from?"

Liam chuckled. "Darling, you just created an entire room and you really don't know where my daggers came from?" She knew it was some form of magic, she just wanted him to tell her. "Fine. Yes, I conjured them. It seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time. I possess a few skills of my own. Now, would you care to explain what this is and where we are? Why couldn't we talk in my room?"

"I wasn't sure it was safe. Don't you find it a bit odd that just yesterday we were discussing how the sword and Cauldron were real and then suddenly Mr. Klen's associate shows up at our picnic? This," she motioned her hands to the room, "is a tearmann, or sanctuary space. Nothing can get in or out without me."

Liam's eyebrows raised, "Where is this room located?"

"Actually it's more like when. We are in the tower of Dunlouh Castle, Ireland in 1345." He let out a low whistle as Rayne smiled at him. "So who do we think Klen and Stewart really are? The symbol on Stewart's wrist is called a Solomon's knot. They've been found throughout history in all sorts of religions and places in the worlds. I saw him looking at grandma's necklace during the meeting." She flipped to the drawings she had made. "I can't find anything on either of them. They don't exist. Not to mention, he shimmered. Most people or witches for that matter don't shimmer." Rayne paused for a moment, then remembered something else. Her eyes grew wide at the memory. "A few nights ago, someone followed me after work. When I tried to confront them, they shimmered away. That could have been Stewart. If it was, then they knew about me before the meeting." She looked at Liam hoping he would have more answers.

Liam stayed silent. Rayne wasn't sure if he was thinking or in shock. Surely if he can conjure daggers, then this shouldn't be such a big revelation, she thought. Liam drew in a long breath, "Okay, let me see if I have this right. You're a witch with some fairly kick-ass powers including freezing, fire, genesis, conjuring, time manipulation, and telekinesis - and those are just the ones I've witnessed. You cast spells in Irish Gaelic. Somehow my potential client has figured out you knew more than you told him and his associate is also a magical being. Have I missed anything?" Liam looked at her for confirmation.

"For the time being, that covers it," Rayne nodded. "You said Klen was a referral from a regular client of yours? Can you reach out to them and find out some more information? I need to know what I'm dealing with, Liam."

He stood up from his chair and knelt before her, taking her hands in his, "We, darling, what we are dealing with. I'm not going anywhere. I got you into this mess, and I'm going to help you resolve this." She could see the guilt in his eyes.

"No, it isn't your fault. I asked to come, actually, I was told to go with you," she clasped his hands as she said this. He tilted his head in a questioning manner. "Do you remember when I collapsed after my shower?" He nodded, waiting for her to explain. "When I opened the door, Cailleach was there and she told me to come with you."