Chapter 23

After a few hours, there was a knock at their door. Liam opened it, and her mother walked in. "I thought you both might like some fresh air. I've had dinner laid out for us in the gardens. The sunshine will do you some good and if you are up to it, you can tell us about your visit with your grandmother." She whispered something to Liam and then left.

Liam came back to the bed and wrapped his arms around Rayne, pulling her tight against him. "I think we should accept her offer. You need to eat and we have been rather cooped up lately." He kissed her neck and nibbled at her ear. She shook him away. "Rayne, please don't shut me out. I love you." He kissed her head and tugged at her to get up. She glared at him but got out of bed. He smiled and snapped his fingers. She was wearing a simple cotton summer dress with tiny threads of green and gold running through it. It shimmered just a bit as it caught the light. She smiled despite her mood. Liam snapped again and he was wearing jeans and a light green button-up shirt. He smiled at her, "You are stunning, my love." He walked toward her and placed her grandmother's necklace around her neck. "She is very much still with you, my love." Rayne's fingers traced over the groves of the triquetra. "I know it hurts right now, but hold on to her love. Let it light your way." His words reminded her of her grandmother's last words to her. She turned and kissed Liam, wrapping her fingers in his hair. She could feel his heart begin to race and pulled back with a sly smile. "Oh darling, if you keep doing that, we will never make it to dinner." He pulled her back to kiss her again, his hands pulling her hips against him when he heard the door open.

"If you rabbits can control yourselves, the Lady is waiting," Maab said in an annoyed tone.

"Why does she keep calling us rabbits, ástvinur?" Liam finally asked.

"Because you have sex constantly, like rabbits. Damn creatures will forget to eat and sleep when they get going. You two are the same way!" Maab snickered and turned from the room.

Liam's mouth fell open and started to say something, but Rayne cut him off, "She's not wrong," she gave him a wicked smile, then whispered, "Master." She quickly turned and started to run from the room following Maab.

"Oh darling you will be punished for that later, I promise," Liam echoed after her as he caught up to her and Maab. They wandered down winding corridors until at last, they reached a small courtyard filled with fruit trees and fragrant flowers. Liam caught Rayne's hand as they walked to the table where her mother sat waiting for them.

"I'm pleased you decided to join me, please sit." She motioned to the empty chairs. "I see Liam made sure you had your grandmother's necklace," she smiled at the sight of the charm. "Let us be family tonight and talk, eat, drink, and be merry!" She raised her glass to toast them both. Their glasses clinked together and they drank, ate, and talked mostly about Rayne's life. Her mother wanted to know all about her life with her grandmother and her years in New York. Liam even shared a few stories of battles and adventures with them as well. As the evening waned and the fireflies began to gather, the conversation took a more serious turn.

"May I ask what my mother told you?" Nimuë looked down at her hands as she spoke, "I'm sorry to ask, but I was confused by her presence in this matter." Rayne recounted the details about the revenant, her grandmother's spell, and the power of death that now resided within her. Her mother listened and occasionally asked clarifying questions, but mostly she was silent. "I had no idea this had happened to you. Mother never sent word about it, and her spells shielded you from even my view. I'm sorry." Nimuë reached out to take Rayne's hand. She looked at her daughter with tears in her eyes. "I would spare you all this pain and death if I could, please know that."

Rayne stood up and walked to her mother. She knelt down to her and embraced her for the first time. "I know and I love you for it. I can do this, I'm not alone." She hugged her mother once again. She whispered in her mother's ear where Liam could not hear, "Do you know if I will ever be able to have children?" Her mother blinked and whispered, "I cannot see one way or the other, I'm sorry." Rayne pulled back with just a hint of tears in her eyes. "I'd like to walk in the garden before bed. Liam, would you like to join me?" She held her hand out to him. He stood, taking her hand, and followed her towards the rows of flowers.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked gently. He watched her as she played with a moonflower bud. "Rayne?"

She turned towards him with tears in her eyes. "Liam I have to tell you something, and if you want to break our bond and leave me I will understand." Liam met her eyes with a concerned expression. "This gift means I might not be able to carry a child." The tears began to roll down her cheeks, "I can't have children with you." Liam pulled her close and stroked her hair.

"Shhh, Rayne, I love you and that doesn't change if we do or don't have children," he kissed her and lifted her chin, "I meant what I said. I am yours eternally. If children are in our future then so be it, but if not, then I will spend the rest of my life loving you still." He kissed her again. "To be honest, my track record with children isn't stellar. I've not been a good father to the children I already have." He hung his head, whispering this last statement.

Rayne knew all the stories. She knew he was being honest about a past he already said he was ashamed of. This time she lifted his chin. "I know your past, Liam. I accept all of you. I also accept your children." She gave him a soft smile and kissed his lips gently. She turned back to the moon flowers. "Give me your hand." she intertwined her fingers with his and concentrated on the flowers. Their hands began to glow green as she held them over the flower. The delicate bloom slowly began to open, then the next one and the next one, until finally, the entire row was overflowing with fragrant blooms. She turned to smile at him, "We did that, together." Liam smiled at her and pulled her close, kissing her deeply.

He nuzzled her hair and whispered in her ear, "I think we've had enough family time for one night. I believe it's time for your punishment my love," Liam ran his tongue across her earlobe, and in a flash of green mist, they were gone.

"Ugh, rabbits again!" moaned Maab. She looked at Nimuë. "What did you tell her about children?"

"The truth. I can't see their future. Eris has clouded her future and thrown the balance off." Nimuë looked worried. "I don't know if she will survive this battle, let alone have children. I'm afraid for her, my old friend."

"Have some faith in her, Nimuë. She is stronger than even she realizes. Rebecca taught her well, and as much as I dislike the Trickster, he is good for her." Maab stood to leave. "Will you train with her tomorrow or should I?"

"I think Liam and I will both train with her. I can see that he is in battle with her, so he needs to prepare as well. Good night, Maab. Sleep well." Nimuë raised her glass in parting to her oldest friend and returned to her thoughts glancing up at Rayne and Liam's window. "Enjoy your time while you can, daughter, for the battle is closer at hand than I would like."

Author's Notes:  SMUT ahead