Chapter 26

They materialized inside a large study where her mother sat speaking into an orb. When Nimuë saw them she hurriedly finished her conversation and turned to them. "What in the stars are you doing? How did you even get in here?" She looked cross.

"Sorry, mother, we teleported. I guess since I was focused on you, we came directly to you." Rayne's voice rose in excitement. "Something has happened." Rayne began to explain about her and Liam's telepathy, "What does it mean?" A smile began to form across Nimuë's face and she let out a small laugh.

She motioned for the two of them to sit down. "Liam, I want you to try and project your thoughts to me." She waited but did not react. "I didn't hear anything. Okay, now you Rayne." Why won't she just answer me? Rayne thought impatiently. "Because it's a test darling, '' Nimuë responded. "Now please talk with each other specifically. I want to see if I can hear Rayne's side of the conversation. Oh, and please keep it clean, I already know enough about your love lives," she gave them a sarcastic look.

What's your favorite food? Liam asked Rayne. Grandma's chicken and dumplings recipe - the one I made for you at my apartment that night, she responded, What's yours? Liam thought for a moment - you. Rayne blushed.

"I think I'm glad I couldn't hear that," Nimuë rolled her eyes.

Rayne and Liam both laughed, "So what does it mean, mother?" Rayne looked at her eagerly. Why could you only hear my thoughts, but not all of them?"

Nimuë patted her hand, "I can hear yours because you are my child and we are bonded by that. I don't have a bond with Liam so I can't hear his thoughts. And apparently, when you two are talking just to each other, I cannot break that bond either." She smiled at them both. "It means your connection is growing stronger. You are becoming one with each other's souls. You are strongest together and the telepathic bond allows you to be together in mind and spirit when you can't be in body." She stood and walked to a map hanging on the wall. "Who knows how strong it will become eventually? It may well reach across the realms if you try."

She let out a breath, "Let us go to the dining room and we will discuss what the Council has told me." She led them down the hall to a large dining room with rows of tables. "Tonight you will join us for our meal. It's time you meet your own kind, daughter. Your father's kin are here and they wish to meet you. You are his only child after all." Nimuë's eyes glistened with a hint of tears. Rayne could see she loved her father and still grieved for him.

She took her mother's hand, "Why didn't you ever remarry? Are you not allowed to as the Morrigan?"

Nimuë shook her head, "No, it's not that. Your father and I were bonded, much like you and Liam are. When we made our wedding commitments, we sealed it with an unbreakable bond spell. We shared a tattoo combining our two clans." She lifted her sleeve to show Rayne a Celtic knot symbol that looked similar to a triquetra but with a dragon's head at the top and more square in shape. "When we merged our two clan symbols, it kept us from ever marrying another. He was the only man I ever loved or will love." She took Rayne's face in her hands. "This is why I understand your connection to Liam. I just worry. He is a God and immortal, he will not age even in the mortal realms. You, my child, will only stay young here in Tír na nÓg, but even then you will age eventually. This is the shadow I see before you both. Do not make your final vows until you have considered the weight of your actions. You will die someday, but he will have to go on for an eternity without you." Her mother looked over at Liam with true concern, "I better than anyone knows what a burden that pain is to bear." Her mother straightened herself, "Now, let us put aside our worries and have an evening of food and good conversation, my child."