Chapter 17

Liam stood at the window watching Rayne spar with the small woman from the castle grounds. He could tell Rayne was holding back. He had seen her much stronger than this before. Was it fear, was she hurt? He wanted to speak with her, to make sure she was safe.

"She loves you, you know?" the Lady stepped through the cell door as if it did not exist. Her black gown swept the ground, her face covered by a raven mask. Liam turned from the window to look upon the Lady. He knew who she was the moment he saw her, and he knelt to the ground, bowing his head. "I know you recognize me, but you won't be allowed to speak my name for now. Rayne does not yet know, and I do not wish for you to tell her, do you understand? If you try, you will be denied your visits at night with her. That is my gift to her for now." Liam nodded his head in agreement.

The Lady continued, "Did you know who she was when you sought her out? Is this part of some scheme of yours?" He could see her eyes piercing his soul with her questions. It was impossible to lie to her.

"No my Lady, I saw Rayne in a dream when I was only a child myself. I only knew her face and that she was my purpose, my destiny." Liam held the Lady's gaze, retelling the same details he had shared with Rayne. "I love her and I will gladly give my life for hers. I would give up my immortality for her." He had never confessed this to Rayne, but he knew in his heart it was true. If it meant keeping her safe, he would sacrifice everything for her.

The Lady stared at him for a moment longer. "I pray that you are true to your words, trickster, and true to Rayne. Her path is covered in darkness. I only hope you can honor your vows and stay by her side. I fear her love for you makes her vulnerable. Your death would be her undoing. If she were to fall into the darkness, none of our worlds would survive. Eris cannot prevail" Her words hung like an ominous cloud in the room. "While I feel your intent is true, I cannot yet permit you your freedom yet. She needs to train and she won't leave your side willingly. Do you understand why I am doing this? Will you agree to not fight me on this and remain in this room until she is ready?"

Liam knew the Lady did not intend to harm either Rayne or him. Rayne needed to be battle ready when Eris arrived. This was not a fight Liam could protect her from. Rayne needed to be strong on her own. "As much as it pains me to be apart from her, I do understand. I will abide by your wishes. May I ask you a favor, my Lady?" She nodded yes. "Can you please erase my knowledge of your true identity for now? I promised I would never lie to Rayne, and I do not wish to break that vow, even if it is a compelled lie."

"I will grant your request, and might I say," she smiled at him, briefly removing her mask so he could look at her true face. Liam gasped when he realized who she truly was. The Lady smiled at his revelation, "I think more highly of you for asking." With a wave of her hand, she was gone.

Liam stood up from his chair and shook his head. Strange, he thought, I know someone was here, but I don't remember who. He remembered what they talked about, and walked back over to the window. "Keep practicing, elskede mín. Get stronger, and be brave. I'll be right here cheering you on, and when you are ready, I will be by your side."

Just before dinner, Maab returned Rayne to her chambers. Once again, the silver chain appeared. "Sorry dearie, Lady's orders for now. We will train again in the morning after breakfast. Try getting some sleep tonight. You two act like rabbits," she rolled her eyes at Rayne and walked out the door. Rayne blushed knowing she was referring to her night with Liam. Goodness, are there no secrets around this place except the ones kept from me? she thought.

There was a knock at the door and the attendants brought in her dinner. Tonight, she was hungry. Using her powers had taken a lot of energy. She savored the fresh fruit and bread, and greedily drank the wine that seemed to be bottomless. Maab was as demanding as her grandmother had been. She pushed Rayne to focus and try new moves. Maab seemed particularly focused on making her practice her fire projection. That was the most difficult. Fire was a fine line and if she pushed too far, it would turn to death. She had only used her death touch once and it was by accident.