Chapter 46

When Rayne opened her eyes she saw the field from her nightmare weeks before. They were no longer in their chambers. Liam held her hand tightly. "Please don't let me go! I've been here, in my nightmare!" She hissed at him, panic in her eyes. He could feel her heart racing and hear her thoughts.

Breathe my love. I'm not leaving you and no harm will come to you, I promise, he said in his mind to her. She listened to his voice and regulated her breathing. He continued to hold her hand, but straightened himself and was suddenly wearing his armor. "Who summons us here without our consent?" His voice boomed across the field.

Rayne suddenly realized where she was. This is the Council of the Gods. I shouldn't be here, Liam.

"You have both broken the sacred accords," a female voice began, " by creating a bond to this witch. How do you both plead?"

"Wait, what? How have we broken the accords? She is not subject to this council, she is not of a coven and therefore bound by no accords. She is a free woman! Free to choose her own path!" Liam let go of Rayne's hand for a moment to appeal to the faceless voice.

"But you are bound by the accords! You dare to bond to a mortal? To share your powers as one?" The woman's voice boomed. "Now do you understand, Loki? It is forbidden to create an unbreakable bond with a mortal. You have crossed a boundary that cannot be allowed. State your case for the Council now." As she spoke the field filled with figures. Some Rayne recognized - Maeve, Anubis, Odin, Hera (who was speaking), others she did not recognize.

"I challenge the accords!" Liam's voice boomed again. "This was not a mere chance. I was sent a vision of Rayne many centuries ago. I have been bonded to her before we even met. The Fates sealed it with the Connection before we professed our love. Read the threads!" Liam reached back and held tight to Rayne's hand. I will not leave you. Even if this is our last moment, we will be together. I love you! He projected his thoughts to her. She suddenly remembered that no one else could hear them. She looked into his eyes, I'm with you for eternity, Liam. I love and trust you completely.

While the Gods and Goddess argued she quickly scanned her memory for the accords they referred to. Read the accord...yes she must demand a reading of the accord if all else fails. She projected her thoughts to Liam. Liam, if they will not listen, I demand a reading of the accord. The Council rules dictate that they must read the accord out loud if an accused demands it. I want to know exactly what we are accused of.

You are brilliant and beautiful! By the Gods, I love you! He grinned at her, then turned to Hera. "We demand a reading of the accord. The full accord with explanation to what part we have violated. We also demand a reading of The Fates to verify the bond we claim. This is our right!"

"Do you also want a reading of the accord and of The Fates, Rayne of the Raven clan? The findings may condemn you further." Hera's tone was again quite condescending. Her demeanor reminded her of Eris. Oh how I dislike the Greek Gods, they are so full of themselves.

"Yes, Hera, I demand the reading of the accord and of The Fates. I am not the whimpering, shy human you think me to be. I demand to know how Liam and I have violated any accord. This is not the first occurrence of a witch and God being together. To be particular, Liam, or as you know him Loki, was not born to the Aesir either, yet welcomed in as blood-brother and companion by Odin." Rayne noticed the look of pride on Odin's face when she spoke. She sensed he did not want his friend to be punished either. Hera, however, was not pleased with Rayne's defiance. She scowled as she called for the reading. As the scribe came forth with the accord, Rayne summoned a self-writing quill to record the words. She was going to need all the information she could get.