Chapter 28

Nimuë tried to console her daughter, but Rayne was frantic. "How could I have not seen this? I should have known she would do something like this!" Rayne screamed. She had long since passed crying and now was just angry. She paced the floor with small wisps of flames licking at her hands. "I'll kill her with my bare hands!"

"Enough!" Her mother's voice boomed. "This is exactly what Eris wants! She wants you to be angry and distracted. If you don't remember Liam's plan and focus, then you are both lost." She looked at Rayne with fire in her eyes. "You will do exactly what Liam told you to. He knew the risks and you did too. Now, get your things ready. Remember, you still have talents she doesn't know about. Don't show up in battle gear. Make your appearance seem non-threatening, play to her vanity." Nimuë walked closer to Rayne. "I know you are scared, child, but you are not alone. Still your mind and hear his voice."

Rayne closed her eyes and focused on Liam. Please, Liam, are you okay? I need to know you're still alive, she projected to him.

I'm alive, darling. A bit worse for wear, but alive. I tried to reach out earlier, but you were too upset to hear me. I'm sorry I'm not there to comfort you, his voice whispered in her mind.

You're the one being held captive and you're worried about comforting me? Tears began to stream down her face as her mother pulled her close.

Rayne, listen to me. She isn't coming alone. Homados and the revenant are coming with her. I'll be there but veiled somehow. She may bring others I'll try to reach out to you, but I don't know if her spells will block me. She's coming, I have to go darling. I love you, Liam's voice faded.

Rayne straightened up and looked at her mother. "It's time to finish this. I'm tired of this psychotic bitch messing with my life."

Rayne stood in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt in front of the pyre. Her mother, The Morrigan, stood to her right, and Maab to her left. "Tonight, we are your anchors to the land of the living. We will watch the fires for your return and make offerings to the Old Ones. Find your strength in your ancestors, Rayne of the Raven Clan." Rayne stepped forward, feeling the flames lick at her, she could already feel the voices of the dead calling to her as well.

When the flames vanished, she found herself deep in the Fallen Land, surrounded by shadows with scurrying eyes all around her. She's here, she's near, they whispered to her. We await your call, her father's voice came to her.

"Eris! Where are you?" Rayne shouted to the darkness. She saw movement to her left. It was Stewart, only he didn't look so human anymore. The spell must be destroying him, Rayne thought. He was dragging something along the ground behind him - Liam. He was covered in bruises and cuts, his arms still bound, and a gag in his mouth. "Liam," Rayne whispered. He lifted his eyes to her but didn't speak. His eyes didn't look right and he didn't reach out with his mind. She paused.

Not him, not him, it's a trick, siúlóir báis, the voices yelled in her mind. Rayne did not react to their warning. Eris needed to believe she was fooled.

"There is your precious, Liam, now give me the Cauldron, witch," Eris appeared before her. There were howls and movement all around. The dead did not like her presence in their lands. She scanned the caverns and let out a laugh, mocking the voices of the dead, but her eyes betrayed her with a slight look of uneasiness. She knew this was not Hades' realm and she was not welcome here. "Charming place you have here. It would be a shame to add another soul to the mix," she lifted the false Liam into the air, as his body writhed and he moaned.

Rayne reacted, crying out for Eris to stop. She had to keep up the ruse. "Release him first," Rayne demanded. Liam, are you here - she reached out for him in her mind. Yes - his voice was so faint.