Chapter 44

It was fully dark when a chambermaid came to awaken them. She left a tray with more food and drink. They both ate sparingly and used magic to put their armor back on. Rayne took Liam's hand and led them to the top of the castle, where Merlin stood waiting for them.

"I'm glad to see you have both rested. You will need your strength tonight." Merlin said as he created another column of fire. "I want you to focus like you did last night, but this time, do not lose yourself. Become one with the fire, but do not let it take you over." He looked at Liam and added, "We will both be here to pull you back if you cannot return from the embers."

Rayne nodded, squeezed Liam's hand, removed the bandage, and stepped closer to the flames as she had done the night before. This time it was as if the fire recognized her. It beckoned her, reaching for her like a familiar lover. She stepped into the flames feeling the warmth, but no pain. She looked at the burned hand to see it was now translucent, just like the rest of her body. She turned and realized that this time, she could still see Merlin and Liam. She wanted to dance with the flames, to fly with them. She reached out to the embers again, feeling herself rise, but she lingered just at the top of the fire. She watched as the other embers flew away and dissipated. The fire told her to stay close, not to fade away. She came back down to the base of the fire and slowly walked out of it, still translucent. She was not visible to Merlin or Liam.

Can you hear me, my love - she asked Liam. He looked around, trying to see where she was. Put out your hand in front of you.

She gently ran her fingers across his hand. He could feel warmth, but it did not burn him. "Elskede, is that you?" Liam's voice was awed. She kissed his cheek, making him place his hand on it. "Little vixen," he laughed.

She stepped closer to Merlin. He could not see her, but he perceived her presence. "Nicely done, granddaughter. You may show yourself now," he chuckled. Rayne focused and pushed the translucent flame back to the column and shimmered into view. She quickly looked down to make sure she was decent. She breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness she had listened to her mother about fireproof armor.

Liam came to her side and grabbed her hand. "It's different now," he said, showing her the hand. In place of the black burns, now were small swirls of flames that shimmered in the light. "How do you feel, love?" He kissed her hand tenderly.

Rayne wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed him tight. "I feel amazing!" She let go and turned back to Merlin, "The fire explained about the embers. I won't float away now, I know how to stay connected."

He smiled at her revelation. "I was hoping you would understand." She tapped the staff and extinguished the flames. "Now, you two should rest. Sean Dóiteáin will be here in the morning to return you to Tír na nÓg."

Rayne awoke to find Liam already dressed and eating breakfast. She just sat looking at him for a while, admiring his reddish-gold curls and amazing jawline. Damn you look good!

Liam laughed, "Thank you darling, but we really must go." Rayne threw back the covers, exposing herself to him. "Ooohh, you are a little vixen, and as much as I would love to have my way with you, I also do not want to offend a dragon." He put out his hand to pull her up from the bed, as Rayne pouted. "Now, eat and get dressed," he laughed, giving her a quick slap on her behind.

She nibbled a pastry and some fruit before getting dressed, just to tease Liam. She put on the pendant he had bought her yesterday. Then they headed down to meet Merlin and Sean Dóiteáin.

Upon reaching the gates, she saw Merlin and the dragon deep in discussion. The two stopped talking and turned their attention to Rayne and Liam. "Greetings, little one! Did you make friends with your fire?"