Chapter 7

They both began eating. Her food was so rich and cooked to perfection. She caught Liam watching her as she ate. He hadn't touched much of his steak. Finally, she worked up the courage to ask about the rune.

"So did you put the rune on the wall in the meeting room?" Rayne casually asked. She wasn't sure what response she expected, but she was still curious.

"You noticed that huh? I guess that shouldn't surprise me after our visit at your work. Yes, I tend to have Kaunaz in any room where money and antiques are involved. Did it bother you?" He looked interested to hear her response.

"I just didn't expect it honestly. I didn't realize you used or even knew about runes. You didn't indicate you were skilled with them that day in the bookshop" She wasn't really lying, just not telling him the full truth.

"Hmmm...I wondered if it was because you weren't entirely honest with Mr. Klen. Telling a lie or even half truth when Kaunaz is present is incredibly difficult. That's why you were so dizzy and hungry. You used too much energy to fight the rune." He didn't even flinch when he said this, he stared at her over the rim of his teacup. It was just a matter of fact as if he was reciting multiplication facts. He knew she had misled his client, but how?

She stared at him, eyes wide. "How did you know?"

He took a sip of his drink, "I watched your reactions. If you truly didn't believe in the objects, you would have just told the man he was insane for believing in fairy tales, but you took the time to provide history for each item. Yes, you did it in a way to disprove their existence, but I think I've picked up on some of your tells. You were bothered by his answers to my initial questions, and so was I. We both realized this was a person with not such nice intentions." Liam raised his eyes to meet hers. "I'm actually glad you thought so quickly on your feet, you were magnificent to watch!"

Rayne pondered what he said for a few moments before responding. "You really are a mystery and just full of surprises, aren't you?"

"I try darling, I try. However, I feel that is a true compliment coming from you, since you are full of surprises as well," He paused for a moment and then asked, "So, I take it the sword and the Cauldron are both real?" He kept his eyes on his drink as he spoke, "Have you seen them?"

Liam's question caught her off guard. She wasn't sure how to answer. She closed her eyes for a moment and waited for some sort of divine intervention to guide her, but none came. She was on her own. Sitting up a bit straighter in her chair, "Yes and no," she responded without further detail. Her direct answer brought Liam's eyes up. She could see he wanted more details but wasn't sure if he should ask. She was taking a true leap of faith here with a man she barely knew. "But you already knew that didn't you?"

"I knew the sword was real but wasn't sure about the Cauldron. I've never seen either one, but in my line of work, I've seen many things that 'shouldn't' exist. That's why I love my job so much. Please don't think I'm asking you to show me either object. I was just curious. You make me curious. You say I'm mysterious and full of surprises, but you are the real mystery, Rayne. Every time I think I have you figured out, you show me a new side to you. You really are amazing, love." He put his cup down and walked over to her chair.

"Enough talk about work. Did you get enough to eat?" Rayne nodded yes. "Good, now let's see how you look in my bed," and he swept her up in bridal style and carried her down the hall. He placed her on the bed gently. He stood looking at her for a few moments, "Yes, this is where you belong," and he bent down to kiss her, pressing firmly against her lips.

Rayne pushed him back gently. "Can we get some rest, please? I'm still really tired. You may have god-like stamina, but I'm worn out. Let's watch something and snuggle," she smiled up at him. Liam laughed and climbed onto the bed beside her. She felt her eyes getting heavier and soon was deep asleep. Liam lay there for a while just watching her sleep, stroking her hair.

"I'm never letting you go, ástvinur," he whispered softly. He leaned over and kissed her temple and then shifted her onto his chest and fell asleep himself listening to her steady breathing.  

***

Rayne was running, but was it to or from something? She saw a hand reach out for her, but they missed her. The hand reached out again, and this time it grabbed her. She tried to push against her attacker, she even tried magic, but nothing was working. She cried out and screamed for help, someone please help!

Liam awoke to feel Rayne pushing away from him and whimpering. It took him a moment to realize she wasn't awake. "Rayne, love, wake up. It's just a dream, wake up," he gently shook her shoulders. She screamed out as she bolted upright, eyes wide. She looked around the room, confused and having forgotten where she was. Liam pulled her close to him and held her tight. "It was just a dream. You're safe love, I'm right here." Rayne looked up at him. He stared at her in confusion for a moment. Her eyes were a liquid blue color with flecks that seemed to be moving. "Rayne, what's wrong with your eyes?"

Rayne looked away from him and began to blink rapidly when Liam asked about her eyes. Damnit, why now? "What do you mean?" she asked blankly. Hoping to avoid answering him directly.

"By the Gods, Rayne, haven't I already made it fairly clear to you that I can tell when you are lying or skirting the truth? A simple 'I don't want to talk about it', is better than a lie." He had a hurt expression on his face. He began to pull away from her and stood up from the bed, shaking his head.

She reached out for his arm. "Liam, wait." She took a deep breath, "I'm sorry. I'm not sure what to tell you, because I'm worried about how you'll react. We've just met, and I didn't want you to think I'm crazy or weird." Her eyes dropped with her last sentence. Rayne remembered all the times she had been pushed away by so-called friends when they learned about her 'gifts'.

He sat back down but didn't embrace her. He waited patiently for her to tell him her truth. "I'm not going anywhere. Nothing you say could make me leave." His voice was soft and soothing.

"Well, you've already figured out that I know a lot about mythology and the occult. It's actually how I was raised. My grandmother trained me from the time we left Ireland when I was 4 or 5. The older I got, the more abilities, or gifts as my grandmother called them, I developed. Sometimes, my eyes will change colors. It is usually an emotional response or a reaction to using powers. Blue is fear. Someone was trying to kidnap me and hurt me in my nightmare. I couldn't get away, and I couldn't use my powers. I was truly helpless and it scared me. When you woke me up, I was still very disoriented. I guess it made my eyes change. I mean, I didn't do anything, I didn't freeze anything, right?" She looked up at him concerned she might have harmed him in her confusion.

His expression softened, "No you didn't hurt, wait, did you just say freeze things? You can do that?"

She half-heartedly laughed, "Yeah, I can. It's not all I can do, but it's one of them. Would you like to see?" Rayne looked at Liam shyly.

"Of course! Do you need anything from me? How can I help?" His excitement was adorable. He scooted over on the bed next to Rayne, like a kid on Christmas morning.

"Can you hand me that cup of water?" Liam gave it to her, she started to pour it into her hand but the water began swirling like a blue mist. He looked at her eyes and saw those same blue flecks as earlier. "Hold out your hand." She put her hand over his outstretched palm. A tiny ice horse pranced across his palm. His eyes grew wider. "Liam, are you okay?"

He looked at her, then back to the horse, then back to her again. "That is amazing! You're amazing!" He pulled her towards him and kissed her forehead, then her cheeks, then her lips. Rayne relaxed in his embrace. He accepted her. "I want you to tell me everything when you are ready. I want to know everything about you." He beamed down at her, his giddiness was contagious, but she was still so tired. He caught her trying to stifle a yawn. "I'm sorry love. You're still exhausted. Rest now, we have all the time in the world," he leaned down and kissed her forehead again, pulling her against his chest, watching her drift off to sleep. He still held the tiny horse in his hand until it melted away. Liam looked down at Rayne sleeping peacefully and whispered, "You are just full of surprises aren't you, my love?"

Author's Notes: Please comment, follow, and vote!