Chapter 20

Rayne reached back for Liam's hand and the chair. The room seemed to be spinning and she couldn't breathe. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them, Liam was on the floor in front of her, "Just focus on my voice, my love. Slow your breathing. It's okay, just breathe." Her breathing relaxed as she listened to him. He squeezed her hand and stroked her cheek. "Take your time. It's a lot to take in. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you myself." He kissed her gently. She shook her head. He sat next to her in the chair, holding her hand.

"I don't understand," her voice was a whisper. "How can you be my mother? Grandmother said you were gone...didn't you want me?" A tear rolled down Rayne's cheek. She felt Liam squeeze her hand again. She was thankful he was with her now.

"I know this is a shock and I'm sorry it isn't under better circumstances. I never wanted to send you away, but The Fates had different plans for me, and I was bound to them." The Morrigan, her mother, sat down and spoke softly. Gone was the fierce, strong appearance from the field. Instead, just a woman struggling to find the right words. "The Morrigan has always come from the Raven clan. When you are chosen, you become the Goddess, but you still retain a bit of yourself. Mine was not a typical ascension. I had already given birth to you, your father had been one of the Tuatha dé Danann. An elf by birth, Arlan was a loving man and a doting father. Sadly, he was killed when you were just a babe. When I was chosen, many feared you could be used against me, so the Council decided it would be best for you to leave the clan. Your grandmother volunteered to take you away and raise you. She knew she would never return to this land. When a Fae lives in the mortal realm, they lose their youth and begin to age like a normal human. She made that sacrifice for both of us." She paused to wipe a tear from her eyes. "You look like her. Like she looked in her Fae youth, same deep brown eyes and chestnut hair."

Rayne tried to take in everything she was hearing. It made her head swim. "Grandma was Fae? I'm Fae? But I don't look like it."

Her mother laughed, "Really? Do you think you look much different than those who attend you? Or are you thinking of little pixies with sparkly wings - those are the children's stories passed around to conceal the real face of the Fae? Your grandmother was over 4000 years old when she left us. You were already close to 200 when you left, and you are half-elven. As I said before, time moves differently here."

She heard Liam try to suppress a giggle. She glared at him. "Guess I'm not so much older now, am I?" he snickered, his mischievous grin spreading across his face. She slapped his arm and huffed. The Morrigan raised her eyebrows questioningly.

"Sorry, inside joke. Liam just has bad timing," she said as he continued to stifle his laughter. She squeezed his hand - hard. He stopped sort of. She turned her full attention back to her mother, "So if I had to leave, then why am I here now, and how do I stop Eris?"

"Your friend Kali helped to get you here. She reached out to me and the Council to alert us to Eris's actions. Sadly, there are some who approve of Eris and her chaotic ways, but others are willing to help. Dealing in the affairs of Gods and Goddesses is a dangerous business, my child. Tír na nÓg exists outside the mortal realm and thus allows you time to hone your skills and prepare for the battle." She looked at Liam, "You are a part of this now. The Fates have placed you in my daughter's path, and she has bound herself to you. Are you prepared to fight, Trickster?"

Liam winced as he stood up, "I pledge my life to her protection," and he knelt before The Morrigan. She touched the top of his head and a red shimmer passed over him, healing him of all his wounds. "Thank you, my Lady." He rose to his feet and then went to sit again next to Rayne.

The Morrigan stood to her full height and turned to Rayne, "You should both rest tonight. Tomorrow we will descend to the dead. I must warn you, that I cannot protect you from the souls. I can only guide you. Beyond that is up to you. You will find your armor in the wardrobe for tomorrow. Make sure to wear no trinkets or jewels, and bind your hair tightly." She turned again to Liam, "If you plan to accompany us, you must travel in your true form otherwise you may never find your way back. Only your status as a God will protect you, not your illusions." Liam nodded his understanding. "I will leave you two to discuss these matters. Good night, my child. I truly am glad you are home."

Rayne paced from one side of the room to the other. She couldn't make sense of it all. Her mother was the Morrigan, she herself was an over 200-year-old elven Fae and she was going to stroll through the underworld tomorrow. Ha! Just your average Tuesday, she thought sarcastically. Liam watched her pace, not making a sound. He finally stood and walked to her. "Rayne, will you stop before you put a hole in the floor?" She huffed and stopped in front of him. Her nervousness made her foot start tapping. Liam laughed, "Poor thing, you have all this pent-up energy. Here let me help." He lifted her over his shoulder, swatted her bottom, and tossed her on the bed.

"Liam! This isn't the time for this," she pouted, trying to push him away. "I've got to figure things out. I need to think." She frowned at him. "Stop looking at me like that, it isn't funny. You're being a jerk."

He drew back in mock pain, "Oh, I'm wounded by your words, ástvinur." He took her chin and softened his voice, "Rayne, you can't do anything tonight. We will face tomorrow together. Now, lay down and let me hold you." He pulled her in tight and snapped his fingers. She looked down to see herself wearing a light green silk nightgown and Liam with matching night trousers. The candles in the room had been extinguished and small star-like orbs hung in the room softly illuminating the bedroom. "You have watched over me for days, tonight, let me watch over you, my love." He smoothed her hair and kissed her forehead. "I love you."

****Mature Content Warning****

Rayne felt her body begin to relax in his arms, "I love you, too," she whispered. She felt safe in his arms. She knew he wouldn't abandon her, but could she save him? She shivered at the thought, making Liam pull her onto his chest even tighter. She felt her fingers trace along his chest where just hours ago the scars lingered. Now the skin was unblemished and pale. She traced a triquetra like her tattoo over his heart absentmindedly, until she heard Liam gasp. She looked up at his face to see the shock in his eyes. The symbol glowed over his heart with a soft green light. "Oh," was all she could manage to say. Liam flipped her over and began to trace a rune over her heart. She knew it was Kenaz, embellished with a snake. When he finished the tracing did the same thing as his and glowed light green, she felt a burning in her heart and a pulling sensation. That was what had made him gasp. Liam leaned down to kiss her gently, his hands running across her abdomen and softly removing her panties. They didn't speak, they didn't need to.

Liam gently pressed her legs apart and slowly eased into her. He took her hand and placed it over the triquetra she had traced, then he placed his hand over the rune on her chest. He thrust into her with her matching every move undulating her hips towards him. Their breathing came in gasps as they locked eyes and let the crest of their orgasms overtake them, their moans echoing across the room. When they moved their hands, they saw the symbols remained. This was their oath and symbol to the world that their bond could not be broken by anyone, not even a God or Goddess. Rayne leaned up to kiss Liam, "I am yours forever." He returned her kiss and whispered, "And I am yours forever." They fell asleep with their hands intertwined and Rayne's head on Liam's chest.  

Author's Notes: Next is the journey into the Summerlands to speak with the dead.

Let me know what you think - follow, comment and vote, please my lovelies!