Chapter 50

The next morning, Grer came to get Rayne after breakfast. She held onto Loki tightly, and whispered in his ear, "I'll be safe, try not to worry." She kissed him one last time and left, following Grer down the winding halls until they reached the open area once again. Rayne noticed the other brothers were not here this time. Grer took her to the edge of the clearing where she saw the murky river coming up from the ground. He looked older than his brothers, his hair and beard streaked with grey. His expression was one of resentment. She could tell he didn't like her much.

"My brother seems to think you are special," he grumbled, "For his sake I'll help, but understand, if you or Loki cause any trouble, or have any thoughts of trickery, I'll kill you myself." Rayne saw the hard glint in his eyes and knew he meant every word. She swallowed hard but did not respond. "Now, the first thing you need to know is that the earth is more than just dirt. Lots of things come from the earth - rocks, minerals, metals, gems - if you really are an elementær, you will be able to control them all with practice." He walked closer to the water and held his hand over the river. She watched as the water began to churn and bubble, then suddenly pieces of stone rose to the surface. Grer reached down to grab the floating stones. Using a small pick-axe, he cracked them open to reveal the most exquisite amethysts she had ever seen. "Your turn," he said, turning towards her.

Rayne tried to do what he had, and hold her hand over the water, but it only swirled. Grer grunted at her failed attempt. She sat on the ground near the water's edge and closed her eyes. She listened to the water in front of her and deeper within the earth. She saw something sparkle in her mind and called it. It moved and slithered as if it were a snake, pushing through the soil to reach her. She felt something cool in the palm of her hands and smiled. She lifted her hands, opening them for Grer to see. Inside of each palm, was a pool of quickly hardening gold. The dwarf paused, then smiled at her. "Now give it back to the earth. We never take what we do not need, and you have no need for this gold," he told her. She smiled, proud of her accomplishment.

She gently kissed the lumps of gold, whispered to them, and then poured them back into the awaiting ground. They both watched as the lumps became liquid again and vanished beneath the earth. "Gold seems to like you, but what about crystals? Can you sense any of them?" Grer asked.

Rayne paused and reached out again. "I know the amethyst are under the river, there are emeralds in the cavern walls to the east, and there is something within the fire below, but I don't know what kind of crystal it is." She looked at him, waiting to see his reaction.

He nodded and mumbled to himself for a moment. "Alright, I guess I'm done here. Berling will be along with some lunch and to train you." Rayne started to say something but hesitated. Grer shouted back as he left, "I'll tell your Trickster that you are well. Can't have him destroying all the damn furniture." She smiled and thanked him, but he was already gone.

She sat on the ground twirling a piece of moss in between her fingers while she waited for Berling. Dvalin can you hear me?

Yes, elementær, are you in need of assistance? Dvalin's voice had a note of concern.

No, I'm just...nervous I guess. I'm sorry to bother you. She felt silly for reaching out to him.

She felt a slight buzzing feeling and suddenly Dvalin was beside her. "What troubles you?" he asked, making her jump slightly.

"Wait, how did you do that? I didn't know you could teleport," she stammered, "then again, I don't really even know what abilities or powers dwarves have at all. Gods, I'm so out of my depths here!" she groaned, flopping backward on the ground.

He laughed and laid back on the ground next to her. His voice was deep and comforting, "The actual term is terraportation. I too have earth elemental capabilities, most dwarves do to a certain degree, I'm just a bit more skilled than my brothers." She liked the sparkle in his eyes when he grinned. "Now, close your eyes and relax." Rayne felt his hand clasp hers, it made her feel safe. "Listen to my voice and let go. Feel the earth all around you. I know you don't like confinement, but don't fight it." His hand tightened around hers, his voice seemed to change and become an echo. "Open your eyes."