Chapter 32

When they arrived at the bookstore, Rayne noticed Megan was nowhere to be seen. There were several customers and Kalli looked a bit overwhelmed. Her eyes met Rayne's and she looked like she had been crying. Rayne squeezed Liam's hand - something is up. Can you help with customers while I check on Kalli? Liam took one look at Kalli's distressed expression and nodded - I'll do my best love, see to your friend. He began to greet a couple who were looking at some small sculptures. Rayne stepped next to Kalli, helping her finish a register transaction, and quietly asked, "What's wrong?"

When the customer walked away, Kalli looked down and shook her head, "Megan isn't feeling well again. She's been having some cramps, so the doctor said to stay off her feet." Kalli's expression showed she was afraid. The fact that a literal Goddess was afraid, worried Rayne for her friend.

"How can we help?" Rayne asked, putting her hand on Kalli's arm. "That one touch was enough to make Kalli's facade break. She turned and fell against Rayne, sobbing. "Let's go in the back." She turned to take her friend to the office. She cast a glance to Liam - we will be in the back, ask if you need help.

Rayne closed the door to the office, got Kalli a glass of water, and sat next to her on the couch. "Now, what is really going on? Why are you so worried?" She asked, holding Kalli's hand.

Kalli took a ragged breath. "Something is wrong, Rayne. In the last month, Megan has been having nightmares, cramping and she is constantly exhausted." Her voice cracked as she said, "I'm a Goddess and I can't seem to help her. I've tried everything I know, and I'm scared - not just for the baby, but for Megan. She seems to be getting weaker. It isn't natural"

"Have the doctors found anything to explain the problems?" Rayne hugged her friend's shoulders.

"They don't have a clue and keep saying she seems to be in good health according to her labs. I can't lose her!" Kalli sobbed. "I know our time together is temporary, but I have come to love her so much, Rayne. When you live as long as I have, finding true love is rare and precious."

"Go home. Liam and I will take care of the shop today, and tomorrow if you want," Rayne handed her friend a tissue. Kalli hugged and thanked her, then vanished in a swirl of red tendrils. Rayne went back out to the front to see Liam, wrapping a rather expensive statue and checking out the couple he was helping when she left. "Kalli went home to take care of Megan. I hope you don't mind, but I kinda volunteered us both to take care of the shop today and tomorrow," she told him with a guilty smile.

He leaned and kissed her forehead, "I don't mind at all, darling. It gives me an excuse to be near you. I've been trying to figure out where I was going to hide while you worked, this just makes it easier," he laughed.

She laughed, "Well, at least you seem to have a knack for selling things. That was a really expensive statue," she quickly kissed him before running off to help another customer. They kept a steady pace of customers until just before closing. Liam had stepped in the back to count down the cash drawer when Rayne heard the bell jingle as the door opened. She looked up to see the familiar face of Mrs. Engleman.

Rayne paused for a moment, thinking back to her last visit. Liam, stay in the office, but please listen. Mrs. Engleman is here again. "Nice to see you, Mrs. Engleman. Did you have an appointment? Sorry, I've been away for a while." she said in a cheerful tone.

"No appointment, dear. Just stopped in to see if you could fit an old lady in for a moment," she indicated towards the reading area. "I won't take but a moment of your time," the old woman's expression was difficult to read.

"Um, yeah, I've got time. Let me just grab my runes," Rayne ducked her head in the office and grabbed the Futhark runes. She shot Liam a quick glance and shrugged. His expression was a worried one. Rayne could tell he did not like the idea of staying hidden, but she sensed his presence during the reading would cause problems. Please - she pleaded. He nodded reluctantly.