Chapter 34

Trigger Warning: Loss of a child

The windows were covered in frost and the frigid January winds blew, shaking the panes. Liam had just placed the pancakes on the table when the phone rang. Rayne saw the caller ID show Kalli's name, "Good morning..." she paused when she heard Kalli's sobs on the other end. She made out a few words - hospital and emergency. Oh, Gods, Liam..it's Meg and the baby. He quickly grabbed her and teleported them to the emergency room. Rayne tried asking for information, but she was ignored.

Suddenly, they heard a booming scream and the sound of breaking glass as if dozens of windows had shattered. They ran towards the sound as the hospital seemed to freeze around them. When they reached the delivery area, Rayne saw Kalli in her true form. In one set of arms she held a very small, silent baby, and with the other she cradled Megan. The table and floor were covered in blood. Kali screamed in agony again, shaking the very walls.

No, no, this can't be happening... Rayne stared at the scene, beginning to understand - her friend and the baby were both dead. She felt faint, but then heard Liam's voice in her head, She needs you. Rayne walked toward Kali, her face was lined with tears. She placed her hands on her arms. No words were spoken. Rayne gently took the baby and cleaned her up, then wrapped her in a fresh blanket. Liam helped clean Megan as well. He fixed the windows and the damaged area.

"Beannacht ort féin agus ar do leanbh. Go dtuga solas do sinsear tú don tsíoraíocht." Rayne kissed the baby's forehead and Megan's as she said her blessing over them. "Kalli.." Rayne whispered. Kali looked up at her in shock but slowly regained her human presenting form. She began to sob as Rayne hugged her.

"I can't stay. Please," she begged Rayne. "I can't keep my control. I have to ..." her words trailed off.

Rayne nodded her head. "We will take care of them." She knew Kalli was struggling to contain the rage of her Goddess form. She hugged her again and then vanished in red tendrils. Once she left, time unfroze. Nurses and doctors rallied to the room to find no damage, just Liam and Rayne guarding the bodies.

Liam went to speak with the doctor and make arrangements for Megan and the child. Rayne kept stroking the cold hand of the infant. She silently cried, at the thought that those cheeks would never brighten. She suddenly felt a cold chill and saw a shadowy figure out of the corner of her eye. The creature had golden glowing eyes and was crouched low. It made a laughing sound that turned into a growl, then it vanished.

A few moments later, Liam returned. He put his arms around Rayne. "Ástvinur," She had been trying so hard to hold herself together, but when he spoke, she broke. She began sobbing in his arms. "Let me take you home," he pleaded. She nodded, leaning into his chest as she took one last look at Megan and mouthed 'goodbye.'

Liam teleported them to the bedroom. He gently placed Rayne in the bed and lay down next to her, holding her as she wept. He gently stroked her hair and would kiss her forehead. Her grief exhausted her and she started to doze off, but when her eyes closed she saw the creature again. "Liam, it was there. That thing did this to them."

He looked down at her, "What did you see?" Rayne described the creature and what had happened. "Did it touch you?"

"No, it stayed along the wall. It just stared at me, then laughed before it disappeared." Liam tightened his arms around Rayne. "I'm worried for Kalli."

"I can only imagine how she feels," Liam said, kissing the top of Rayne's head. "I don't know how I would survive if I lost you," his voice cracked a bit. He continued to hold her tightly as Rayne slept. Her dreams were filled with the creature's laughter and golden eyes.

The next few days were a difficult and emotional blur. Kalli had returned and informed Rayne she would be leaving indefinitely. She asked Liam if he could liquidate the shop inventory through some of his contacts and if they would handle shutting down the bookstore. When they both agreed, she gave them the already prepared legal documents, signing the store over to Rayne. Kalli told them she planned to leave shortly after the funeral services.

Kalli chose to have a small Hindi service for Megan and baby Grace. Mother and child were cremated together and their ashes were released. There were no dinners or gatherings afterward. Kalli gave her tearful goodbye to Rayne and Liam. "Aatmaen aapaka bhala karen," she whispered to them and vanished.

After the funeral, Rayne had become withdrawn. Liam noticed she wasn't sleeping well and did not eat enough. She seemed haunted on days they worked at the shop, boxing up bookings and inventory. He had asked her if she wanted to try and keep it open, but she had refused. He had hoped it would help her keep a sense of normalcy, but the memories were too much for her. Rayne could not bear to part with several of the texts and ritual materials. Their small apartment soon became quite crowded.

Liam had spent the day at the shop, letting Rayne stay home and rest. When he came home, he found her at the table drawing Oracle cards. "May I?" he asked before sitting down. She nodded. "So what are the oracles showing you today, ástvinur?" Rayne smiled at the term of endearment.

"Not much so far," she looked at him and asked, "Would you like me to do a reading for you?" Liam paused, then nodded yes. She shuffled the deck, then had him pull three cards. Rayne began to flip the cards, "Hine-nui-te-pō - In your past you have struggled with trust issues," she couldn't help but smile at this card. It was the same one she had pulled before their date. It made so much more sense now, that she knew his God identity.

"Why the smile?" Liam asked. She explained about the two readings she had done before their first date. He laughed, "I guess I should have known you would have consulted the oracles. Please continue."

Rayne turned the second card, "Pandora - you are curious about events in your present life." she smiled at him, then turned the final card. "Pele - transformation. You will experience life-altering changes in your future."

Liam stared at the final card, "So how does this compare to the first reading?"

"Your past card is the same as I said, but before your present held Gaia for creation and your future held Oya for changes in death. It seems your present truly changed, but your future is still under the cloud of death and transformation." Rayne looked concerned, "It worries me."

He pulled her into his arms, "Do not worry, my love. You know as well as I that the future is never set. Paths may be before us, but they can always alter and grow." He kissed her forehead, "We are together and that is what matters." Rayne leaned against his chest and let out a small sigh. She simply could not shake the bad feeling in her stomach.

***

Author's Notes: The darkness continues for a while longer, my lovelies.

Please follow, comment, and vote!