Chapter 18

Rayne woke to the sun in her eyes. She started to panic, but then realized that Liam was still there. She stroked his hair and nudged him awake. "Good morning, my love," she said, kissing his nose. Laim leaned up and gazed into her eyes, then kissed her back. "We should get dressed, they will be bringing breakfast soon. Oh, where are our clothes?"

Liam picked up a piece of clothing, and laughed, "Well, I think parts of them are just about everywhere, along with these flowers," he motioned around the room. "Guess we just have to stay in bed naked." He tried to pull her back to the bed.

Rayne tugged her hand away, "But we can't. You have to leave after breakfast, and I do not like the idea of you sitting naked in a cell. Can I try something?" Liam looked confused but nodded in agreement. Rayne closed her eyes and concentrated on Liam. She pictured him in the jeans and white button-up shirt he had worn on the date to her apartment. He had looked so relaxed, but so damn sexy that night. When she opened her eyes, Liam was wearing that exact outfit. She clapped her hands and grinned, "I did it!"

Liam pulled her into a kiss, "Hmmm, witch, bard, lover, and now a tailor? Damn, woman, you really are the full package, aren't you? How did I ever get so lucky?" He dipped her dramatically and kissed her again.

"I guess you're just blessed," she giggled. She stepped to the wardrobe to grab her battle gear. It wasn't until she began to dress that she realized that both her and Liam's chains were gone and had not returned. "Liam, the chains? When did they disappear?"

Liam looked down at his leg and frowned, "I don't remember either of them being on at all since I've been here. Maybe mine will return when I'm back in my cell," he shrugged. "It doesn't matter. All that matters is right now." He kissed her again, pushing a strand of hair away from her face. "You really are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and I think you're right, For whatever reason, and the Gods know I don't deserve it, but I am blessed to be loved by you." His green eyes stared deeply into hers.

Rayne leaned against his chest, breathing him in for a moment, then said, "I'm worried about Eris. I don't know how to find what she wants, and I don't think I can win a battle against her. She's a Goddess, I'm just me."

Liam lifted her chin, "Do not ever underestimate yourself, Rayne. You are powerful, and you have to believe in yourself, as I believe in you. I will watch you today from my cell. I know I can't be there with you, but know that I am near and I love you. I want you to stop holding back in your training. Show them the fierce witch your grandmother raised you to be!" He kissed her quickly as they heard the doors open.

The attendants laid the table before them, and Liam pulled out a chair for her to sit. They ate mostly in silence, holding hands, knowing their time together was nearing its end for the day. When Maab appeared at the door, Liam bowed and knelt to her, "Your Majesty." He took Rayne in his arms and held her close, kissing the top of her head. He kissed her softly on the lips, "I am always with you, my darling." Then he vanished. Rayne's heart sank, but she wasn't as overcome with grief as she was the day before. Maab noticed the change as well and smiled.

"Well, let's see what you have for me today, dearie." Maab led Rayne back out to the battlefields. "I see you managed some creation magic last night," Maab smirked. "Do you have any idea how much work it is to clean up those blossoms? Damn rabbits.." she trailed off.

"Why do you dislike Liam so much?" Rayne asked defensively. She suddenly felt so angry at Maab. Why was she being so condescending? She could feel the anger boiling inside her. "He's never done anything to you. He loves me and I love him! I'm so tired of everyone here keeping us apart!" Her hair began to swirl around her head, and her eyes turned red, but her anger was controlling her and her eyes grew darker and darker. In moments, her body was enveloped in flames and she rose off the ground yelling, "I'm not your damn puppet! I don't owe you anything!" a flash of fire shot from her hands. Maab quickly deflected it.

From his cell window, Liam looked on. He saw Rayne hovering above the ground, flames licking at her skin and hair. She looked furious. He watched Maab closely, hoping the old Queen could talk Rayne down from her anger. He worried about what might happen if she couldn't. He felt helpless, trapped, and unable to help her.

"You have to control your anger, child. You are the fire, you control it, not the other way around." Maab spoke in an even voice to Rayne. If she was frightened or concerned, she never showed it. "And do not lecture me on that trickster. I have known his kind. He will only bring you pain in the end."

Rayne's eyes focused on the old woman with rage. "Do not ever speak of him again. He is mine and you will not separate me from him. Do not challenge me, fool!" Her voice had become dark and ominous. Sparks flew from her hands again towards Maab. The old Queen dodged the first one but was singed by the second. Seeing their Queen falter, several Fae ran to her side, raising defensive spells against Rayne. One young Fae tried to throw a spear at her.

Rayne looked down at the boy and spoke in a hollow voice, "Is mise am bàs" Her eyes turned solid black and the flames quickly changed to a wispy black mist. Her skin began to grey like ash. She lowered to the ground and the grass under her feet withered instantly. She began to walk towards the boy, whispering an old forgotten language.

Liam saw her transformation from his cell. "Rayne, stop this, stop!" It was no use, she couldn't hear him. "You must let me go to her!" he screamed out to the ceiling praying someone would hear his pleas. Seconds later he was on the battlefield, standing in front of the boy. "Run, all of you, run now!" He yelled at them over his shoulder. They did as he commanded, even Maab.

Liam stood his ground. "Rayne, darling you have to listen to me. You have to hear me. This isn't you. Listen to the sound of my voice. Come back to me, please ástvinur." She tilted her head at Liam almost as if she saw him, but then she straightened her head again and continued to walk toward him. Her skin seemed to constantly shed off pieces of dry ash. Her eyes looked as hard as black agate stones. Her hands, once soft and young, began to look bony and ancient. She continued to mumble in a language he had never heard before. With each step she took, the ground beneath her died. Liam knew what he had to do, and he hoped she would forgive him. He took a step forward and reached for her. "Forgive me my love, but this is the only way I know how to make you remember. My life is yours now." Liam pulled her to him and kissed her deeply. For a moment, he began to glow with their green hue, but the mist soon overpowered it. He could feel her powers turning him to ash and dust, but he held tight. Liam felt as if he was falling down a long tunnel when suddenly, a strong blow threw him backward and he landed on the ground with a hard thud.

He rolled on his side and looked up long enough to see Rayne crumpled to the ground, weeping, but looking normal. There in the middle of the field stood The Morrigan, her staff thrust into the ground. Liam let out a breath, and fell backward, unconscious.  

Author's Notes: Now we've seen Rayne's scary power. 

Please follow, comment and vote!