Chapter 21

The next morning they awoke to find a light meal laid out. They ate and showered quickly. Rayne found her armor in the wardrobe. It was black with green accents to match Liam's when he transformed into Loki. His armor flashed with gold and green and sections of black. His hair was longer and redder. It was a scattered mess of curls and braids. Remembering what her mother had said, she insisted she braid all of Loki's hair tightly. "Not bad, but let me show you a real Viking braid," he said as he began combing and braiding Rayne's hair. It was pulled back tightly with several small intricate braids on the sides. He then skillfully pulled all the strands into a high tight braid going down the back of her head and neck. He bound it with a simple piece of leather and tucked the edges of the leather into her hair so that nothing could be tugged or snagged while they were in the Underworld. She looked at him as if for the first time. That first time in Dublin had been so fleeting and she was unprepared. Now she could see him in full light. "Do you dislike what you see, my love?" He asked when he noticed her staring at him.

"No, actually, you look good. I'm just taking it all in, dear," Rayne swallowed hard. He looked a little too good right now. "I think we better get going," she said a little breathlessly. Loki let out a deep laugh and pulled her into his kiss. She felt like she could get lost in him. She kissed him back, letting her hands travel across his shoulders and chest.

"Ah hem," she heard a voice behind them. It was Maab. "Rabbits, I swear, tut, tut, tut. We should be going now. The Lady waits for us," she shook her head and turned to lead them out the door.

"Rabbits?" Loki asked.

"I'll explain later," Rayne grabbed his hand and dragged him along beside her.

Maab led them to a plain hallway lined with sketches and paintings. Rayne looked around curiously. This was the first time she had really seen much of the palace. Her mother stood just in front of a large wooden door dressed in armor similar in design to Rayne's but adorned in black and red. She carried the sword Fragarach in a sheath across her back. "Rayne, you may not carry a weapon for you are not a Goddess. Loki, do you have a weapon?" Loki waved his hand and Lævateinn appeared in his hands, then it disappeared just as easily.

"I will call for it only if needed. I do not wish to be perceived as a threat in a place that is not the home of my ancestors." He spoke with reverence.

The Morrigan looked at his chest and saw the triquetra Rayne had inscribed on his heart the night before. She nodded her head towards it, "Ah, yes, but it appears, my daughter has made you one of the clan. I welcome you as a brother at arms," and she bowed her head to him. A look of shock came over Loki's face and he glanced at Rayne seeing a similar expression. "But we can discuss that at another time. For now, you must follow my steps. Do not leave the trail, even when it does not really look like a trail. Once we cross the bridge, we are in the Fallen land. Those are who you need to speak with, Rayne, but be careful, not all speak the truth. Listen with your heart as your grandmother taught you, and you will be safe. Maab will stay at the door and be our anchor so we can find our way back. Shall we?" She pushed on the door and it opened to a beautiful landscape of Fae, elven, and human souls that looked to be at peace and not really aware they were dead.

Rayne followed her mother, and Loki followed Rayne. Rayne turned once to see Maab shut the heavy door. Dílis flew overhead, scouting the path before them. Many of the dead bowed or knelt as her mother passed them. I wonder if Grandma is here, she thought. It was hard to think that her mother was the guardian of the dead and a Goddess of Prophecy. As she walked along she realized she didn't even know her mother's real name. "Nimuë, child, my name was Nimuë, daughter of Merlin and the Priestess Lenore, who you knew as Rebecca," her mother answered her thoughts aloud. "As for your grandmother, yes, she is here, but now is not the time for you to see her." She motioned for Rayne and Loki to come near her. "You would do well to keep your thoughts guarded. The Fallen land lies just ahead. Do not give your name until I tell you. Loki, stay close to her, and do not be fooled by what you see. Your kin are not here." Loki took Rayne's hand and gave her a quick smile.