Chapter 37

A week had passed since Rayne's first seizure. She hadn't awakened and would occasionally have fits of seizing and moaning. Her skin had grown paler by the day. Liam still could not reach her mind. He stayed by the bed, barely eating or sleeping. Rebecca had returned to the Summerlands, and Maab and Nimuë became worried not just for Rayne, but for Liam's health as well.

It is so cold and dark here. Where am I? Rayne tried to see where she was, but all she could see was darkness. She felt cold stone beneath her feet. She tried to focus and use her fire powers, but nothing happened. She reached out for Liam, and again nothing. She was alone and cut off from her powers, but how? She heard the soft voice singing.

Vargen ylar i nattens skog

Han vill men kan inte sova

Hungern river i hans varga buk

Och det är kallt i hans stova

Du varg du varg, kom inte hit

Ungen min får du aldrig

The voice was low and sweet, but she didn't understand the lyrics. It was not in a language she knew, but it still sounded familiar. The room seemed to shimmer as someone or something skirted around the edges of her eyesight. "Who are you?" she demanded. Rayne's voice seemed to echo back at her. "Where am I, what is this place?" No answer came to her, only the singing voice.

Vargen ylar i nattens skog

Ylar av hunger o klagar

Men jag ska ge'n en grisa svans

Sånt passar i varga magar

Du varg du varg, kom inte hit

Ungen min får du aldrig

"What does that mean? I don't understand," Rayne pleaded. She sank to the ground and began to weep.

Liam could see the tears running down her cheeks. He stroked her hair and face, "I'm here, ástvinur, please tell me what to do, how to help you," he whispered as tears of his own formed. He crawled into the bed next to her and held her close, whispering into her ear, willing her to hear him, to come back to him. He eventually fell asleep next to her.

He saw a shadowy shape on the ground. It lay on the hard rocks, scratching at the ground, the limbs were pale and grey in contrast to the white garment it wore. He could see its face through a tangled mass of hair - brown hair - by the Gods, it was Rayne! Liam tried to call her name, but no sound came out. He tried to run to her, but couldn't move. He saw another shadow come from the corner. It came nearer to Rayne but she did not seem to see it. It was small and childlike and sang to Rayne.

Du varg du varg, kom inte hit

Ungen min får du aldrig

Liam shivered and tried to remember the song. He recognized the Norse lyrics - The Wolf Song. It was a rather barbaric lullaby from ancient times. He watched Rayne put her hands over her ears and cry out begging the creature to stop singing. Again he tried to go to her, to speak but he could not. He was there, but not really, he realized. Ástvinur, you are not alone - he projected to her over and over again. Rayne lifted her head, "Liam," she whispered. As she searched the room with her eyes, Liam saw that her eyes were black and hollow. He spoke to her again, I'm with you darling. I love you - for a brief moment her eyes began to clear as she heard him in her mind. Suddenly, the creature howled and came flying towards Liam. "She's mine! You can't have her!" it screamed at Liam and shoved him back.