Chapter 41

Rayne lay for a while studying Liam's face. She thought back to the female form he had taken last night. She was exquisite, but this face was the man she loved. This was the face she wanted to wake up to for the rest of her life. She slipped out of bed quietly to not wake him and headed for the shower. Rayne stood under the warm water letting it run over her head. I wonder, she thought, can I manipulate any water? Rayne held her hands, palms together, and then slowly focusing on the water, she spread them apart as if pushing away the water. As her hands moved, so did the stream of water. It had split down the middle and now was in two streams on either side of her. She laughed out loud and clapped her hands, which made the water go back to normal. It splashed her straight in the face, but she didn't care. This was too amazing, she had to tell her mother.

Rayne quickly dressed and left a note for Liam, she raced down the hall to her mother's study. The heavy doors were closed and she impatiently knocked on them. Nimuë had a troubled expression when she finally came to the door, but quickly smiled when she saw Rayne. "Daughter, you're up early, and apparently excited about something. Come in," She opened the doors to let Rayne pass.

She made it a couple of steps before she turned to face her mother, "I have a new power, or an advancement of one at least," she blurted out in an excited tone. "I can manipulate water! The water sprite Lily showed me yesterday, and I did it again this morning in the shower!" She sounded like an excited child. "She also said I am connected to all five elements on the pentagram, but I don't really understand that completely."

Nimuë paused to consider what Rayne had just said then she walked to the desk and got a glass of water. "Show me please," she handed the water to her. Rayne closed her eyes and focused on making the water spiral out of the glass, then back down again. When she opened her eyes, the water was dancing above the cup. Her mother's expression was surprised. "Now freeze it," she said. Rayne quickly cooled the water in mid-air making a rather lovely ice sculpture. She looked back at her mother, trying to read her eyes. "This is interesting, indeed," Nimuë said.

"What do you think she meant about all the elements and the points of the pentagram?" Rayne asked as she thawed the ice, making the water fall back into the glass. She set it on the table and sat down on the couch near her mother's desk.

Nimue took out a piece of parchment and drew the pentagram, "Each point represents an element. Water, Earth, Air, Fire and Spirit." She put a mark next to water, "We know you have this power, as you just demonstrated, and you also have fire as well as spirit with your connection to the dead and your creation power, but currently, Liam holds that part for you." She circled the points for Earth and Air. "Have you ever controlled the earth or air before, child?"

Rayne thought and shook her head, "Not that I remember. I don't think I've ever really tried. Most of my powers just came when my mood caused them. Before Eris, I could only control the fire and sometimes the ice and creation." She kept staring at the pentagram. "Mother, what does this mean? Lily said there was another challenge in my future. Is this part of it?"

"I'm not sure. I think I need to consult with the Elders about this," she smiled at Rayne, "Perhaps we can find someone to train you to control the earth and air?"

Rayne smiled and agreed, "I would really like that. Unless you need me, I think I'm going to go back to the lake today and train with Lily. She said she would help me with the water." Her mother hugged her and encouraged her to practice. She told her she would send a messenger when she knew something.

When she returned to her chambers, she found Liam drying off from his shower. "Ahh there is my lovely bride-to-be," he kissed her and pulled her to him.