Chapter 49

The next morning, Rayne and Loki rose early. Odin greeted them in the great hall. "Safe journey my friends," he embraced Rayne in a tight hug. "You are always welcome in this hall, Lady Rayne." He turned to Loki and embraced him as well, "I look forward to your wedding. You have found your sjelevenn, my brother. I am truly happy for you!" He walked them to the Bifröst and watched as Heimdallr twisted the sword. Loki held Rayne close as the kaleidoscope lights engulfed them once more.

When Rayne opened her eyes, it seemed dark and cloudy, the sky had a ruddy glow to it. Loki quickly led her to a large stone entryway. They began to descend into the caverns. "The dwarves live underground in Nidavellir, the dark elves live on the surface in the realm of Svartalfheim. We do not want to cross them." She could hear the concern in his voice. "The realm is a divided place and almost always at war." Rayne struggled to keep pace with his long steps and stumbled a couple of times. Loki realized her difficulty and slowed his pace a bit, "Sorry, ástvinur. This place makes me nervous."

She took his hand tighter in hers, "It's okay. Um, can I ask a question?" He nodded. "Odin said you found your sjelevenn. What does that mean?"

Loki chuckled, "Soulmate. He says you are my soulmate, darling." He gave her a quick smile, "And I personally think he's absolutely correct." He stopped when the stairway came to a large ornate wooden door. "Well, we're here," he took a deep breath and knocked on the heavy door. It slowly swung inward and they stepped through.

They found themselves surrounded by four dwarves with swords drawn and leveled at their necks. Loki pulled Rayne behind him, holding his other hand out to show he carried no weapon. "Wait, Alfrigg, Berling, Dvalin and Grer, we mean no harm. Rayne has been sent to seek your training, and I am her escort. She is an elemental. "

The brothers looked to one another and back to Loki. Alfrigg spoke first, "How do we know we can trust you, Trickster?"

"We need proof," Grer demanded.

Rayne thought quickly, "If you have some water, I can show you my skills." Again the dwarves regarded her with doubt, but one of them brought forth a cup of water. Rayne pulled the water into the air, creating small flowers that danced around each other. She then froze each of them and dropped them back into the cup. Eyes wide, the brothers lowered their swords.

Grer motioned for them to follow. He led them to a large room with a simple wooden table littered with magnificent tools and other items made of precious metals and gems. They still regarded Loki with suspicious eyes. "Who sent you?" Grer asked Rayne directly.

"I was sent by Gaoth an Iarthair from Tír na nÓg," she replied.

The dwarf's eyes went wide as he looked at his brothers. "What other elements do you control?" asked Alfrigg.

Rayne paused, looking at Loki for reassurance. He nodded. She cleared her throat, "Water, air, fire, spirit, and earth if you will help me to master it." They were all silent as she waited for someone to say something.

"It's her." The voice was soft, almost a whisper. Dvalin stepped from the shadows where he had been watching and listening. "She's the one from the prophecy." His voice was more confident this time. His brothers looked at him with doubt, shaking their heads. They argued between themselves, but Dvalin said nothing more. He simply continued to stare at Rayne with a mix of awe, fear, and even adoration.

As the brothers argued, she heard Dvalin's voice in her mind, Call to the gold on the table. Ask it to come to you - show them.

Rayne was shocked to hear him inside her head. Liam and her grandmother were the only ones who had ever done that before. She paused for a moment, but when she saw him look down at the golden cup before him, she nodded and did as he asked. She focused on the cup, on the gold that it was made of, realizing it and the jewels came from the earth. She asked it to come to her hands, beseeched it for help. When she held out her hand, it flew from the table and fell into the palm of her hand.