Chapter 35

Trigger Warning: Ectopic pregnancy

It had taken a few weeks, but they had finally closed the shop. Despite the first signs of spring showing, Rayne still felt depressed. Liam had suggested they have an evening out, so they went to a quiet little restaurant, and then for a walk under the stars. Liam held her hand as they walked in silence.

"Liam," she began softly, "I can't stay here anymore." her eyes were glistening with tears. "It hurts too much."

He pulled her close and stroked her hair. "I know, love." Liam lifted her chin to meet his gaze, "Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhe..," Rayne started to say, but suddenly gasped as a sharp pain seared in her stomach. "Aaaahhh, Liam!" she dropped to the ground clutching her stomach. It felt like a thousand needles were stabbing her all at once. She was gasping for air, as Liam tried to heal her. It wasn't working.

"Okay, we're going to the hospital, now! I can't heal you, love," he picked her up and teleported them just outside the emergency room. He was yelling for help as he carried her through the sliding doors. She was immediately placed on a gurney and they took her to a triage room, making him wait outside.

Rayne continued to cry out in pain as the doctor examined her. Ástvinur, I'm here. She could hear Liam's voice trying to comfort her, but the pain made it hard to think straight. After a few tests, they began an IV and gave her something to help her sleep, as they wheeled her down the hall. The doctor came out to speak with Liam.

"Mr. Andersen, we need to take her to surgery right away," his expression was pained.

"What's wrong with her?" Liam's voice had an edge of panic to it.

The doctor looked at the floor, then up to Liam, "I'm sorry. There's a complication with the pregnancy - it's ectopic. There's no way to save the baby, I'm sorry." He saw the look of shock come over Liam's face. "Were either of you aware she was pregnant?" Liam shook his head, tears forming in his eyes. The doctor placed a hand on his shoulder, "That might be for the best. I'll come and update you when she is in recovery." He led Liam to the waiting area, then hurried down the same hallway they had just taken Rayne down.

Liam's head fell into his hands and he began to sob. He felt a small hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Maab dressed in her brown frock and overcoat. He clung to her as he cried. Maab patted his head, trying to comfort him. After several minutes, Liam spoke, "How did you know to come?"

"Nimuë sensed that Rayne's life was in peril. She is not able to leave the realm, so I came in her stead." Maab sat in the chair next to Liam. "Tell me what has happened." Liam recounted what the doctor had said as well as recent events.

"We didn't even know she was pregnant. We've both been so caught up in our grief over Megan and Grace," his voice trailed off. "Oh Gods, how am I going to tell her? She wants children so badly."

Before Maab could respond, the doctor came in. Liam quickly rose to meet him, "How is she? Can I see her?"

The doctor paused. "Please, come sit down." His words made Liam panic, but Maab directed him to sit. "Mr. Andersen, your fiancée is resting. She won't be awake for a few more hours." Liam let out the breath he had been holding. "Sir, there were complications."

Liam's head was swimming. He tried to speak but couldn't. "What kind of complications?" Maab asked the question that Liam couldn't.

"We found significant scarring. One of her ovaries was so damaged - we had to remove it." He took a deep breath. "Mr. Andersen, I want to prepare you for the possibility that she might not be able to have children. We did what we could to repair the uterus, but there's just no way to be sure." His eyes were filled with sympathy. He stood and shook their hands, "If you would like to sit with her, I can have the nurse take you when you're ready. I'll give you both a few moments."

Liam sank back into the chair, tears streamed down his cheeks. Maab stood next to him, silently crying as well. "I need to be there when she wakes up," he finally said softly. "Will you stay?"

"For as long as I can," Maab nodded. "She's going to need all of us."

The nurse led them to Rayne's room where Liam and Maab waited for her to wake.

When Rayne opened her eyes, she saw Liam asleep in a chair next to her bed. She tried to sit up and felt a flash of pain across her abdomen. "Sshhhh, child. Lie still." She turned to see Maab standing beside her bed. The old woman stroked her forehead. "Just rest."

Liam heard the two women and sat up groggily, "Ástvinur." He reached for her hand and leaned over to kiss her head gently. She could see they had both been crying.

"Liam, what happened? Why am I in the hospital?" Rayne asked.

Liam hesitated, taking a deep breath. He looked at Maab. "I'll give you two some privacy. I'll be outside if you need me," the tiny queen stepped quietly out into the hallway.

Rayne looked back at Liam. Please tell me - she begged silently. Tears rimmed his eyes as Liam began to tell her of the pregnancy and surgery. When he told her what the doctor said about future children, Rayne threw her head back, screaming in agony. Liam held her tightly as they both grieved for what they had lost.

Maab could hear Rayne's screams from the hall. The sounds tore her very soul. She sent out a simple plea to the veil - Rebecca, she needs you.

Later that evening, a nurse had come in and gave Rayne a slight sedative to help her rest. "She'll sleep through the night if you want to go get something to eat and stretch your legs," the nurse suggested.

"I don't want to leave her alone," Liam protested.

"Go and eat, I'll stay with her," Maab said, "Just bring me back some sweets and tea." She shooed both Liam and the nurse out the door. Once they left, she lit the black candle and reached out to her old friend.

Rebecca stepped out of the shadows and sat in the chair next to Rayne's bed. "This wasn't supposed to happen, Maab," Rebecca said, anger edging her words. "Something caused this." She stroked her cheek and cried for her granddaughter and the child that was lost.

"I agree. Her friend died in labor as did the child only a few weeks ago as well. The timing of it is too coincidental," Maab said softly. "What could do this?"

Rebecca straightened and stared at her friend with a look of fear and resignation, "The only creature I can think of is a gello. If that is what killed her friend and attacked her, it may not stop until she is dead too." The old woman placed her forehead to Rayne's and spoke, "Hear me, precious one. You are not alone."

***

Author's Notes: Much love and support to anyone who has experienced a loss such as this.