Chapter 47

Gaoth an Iarthair

"Let's go to the lake today," Rayne suggested as she fed Liam a strawberry. "We could have a picnic and go swimming. I haven't seen Lily since we got back from Camelot."

Liam laughed, pulling apart a pastry, "Am I not satisfying you, elskede?" He fed her a piece of the pastry. "Am I losing you already to a water sprite?"

She leaned over and nuzzled his nose, kissing him lightly, "I'm beyond satisfied, love. I just want to swim and say hello." Rayne blushed a bit and added, "Okay, maybe I would like to steal a kiss or two from her."

Liam pulled her against his chest as his laughter filled the room. "I love you, darling. I have a few things to do today, but we can meet at the lake in a couple of hours if you like." He kissed the top of her head. He got up from the table and just before he walked away, he dabbed a bit of cream on Rayne's nose, and quickly dashed out of the room, laughing.

She squeaked and threw a strawberry after him, "Jerk! I'll get you for that," she giggled as she wiped off the cream.

Maab came into the room carrying the strawberry, "Flying fruit?" she asked with a smile.

"Ha ha, my fiancée, thought he was being funny," Rayne grinned. "So, what is on the planning agenda for today, Maab?" She headed to the wardrobe to get dressed as they talked.

"I brought you the invitation responses. I thought we could plan seating for the feast. We also need to figure out if any of the deities are planning to stay for the ritual." She handed Rayne a stack of envelopes. Maab raised a finger and the table cleared itself and was replaced with a map of the great hall.

Rayne held the envelopes, running her fingers over them. She couldn't help thinking of the events with the Council. "I know the Fates said we were safe, but do you think we might be pushing our luck with this wedding?" She asked Maab softly.

Maab turned to her, eyes wide, "Child what are you prattling on about? The Council cannot touch either of you now." She took the envelopes from Rayne's hands and sat her on the bench so she could get her at eye level. "Your grandmother was right. The Fates have forged something new with you and Liam. If they wanted to stop this wedding, then they would have told you." She hugged Rayne tightly, then stood again, "Now, let's open these and figure out where to draw battle lines," she laughed with a sly grin. Rayne couldn't help but laugh back at her and nod. She began opening the responses.

"Looks like everyone is coming, wait, I don't recognize this one." Rayne held the card out to Maab. Instead of the green embossed paper, this one was in a red envelope with a simple slanted print.

Maab slowly opened the envelope and frowned. "It seems your grandfather will be in attendance with a plus four." She handed the letter to Rayne, "You should inform Nimuë. There seems to be a message here for her only. It won't reveal to either of us." Rayne sighed with frustration and laid the message aside.

"I'll drop it off on my way to the lake to meet Liam. For now, let's figure out accommodations and seating. I think we might want to keep Odin on this side, and away from Hel and Angrboða. We could set him at the table with Kalli. Of course, Cailleach will be with grandma," she moved settings around as they discussed where to provide rooms and more. It really was like planning a battle. After another hour, she left Maab to take the message to her mother.

Rayne knocked on the heavy door and pushed it open when her mother called, "Come in!" Her mother sat in a simple black gown with her hair down looking less like the Morrigan and more like a tired parent. "Let me see it," she said flatly. Apparently, Maab had already informed her of the message from Merlin. Nimuë ran her fingers over the symbols at the bottom of the page. "Well that's vague," she shook her head and looked up at Rayne. "He doesn't say much other than he will be bringing guests that are vital to your powers. He also made some requests on their behalf and stated only one would need overnight accommodations. He did not specify who they are"