Chapter 43

Standing before Rayne and Liam, was her grandfather - Merlin.

Rayne stood, unable to speak, just blinking in disbelief at the man before her. With a flick of his wrist, a table and chairs appeared. There was wine and fruit as well. "Sit, regain your strength, both of you," he said to them.

Liam pulled out a chair for her, and Rayne numbly sat down, never taking her eyes off Merlin. Ástvinur, are you okay? Liam looked at her with concern. She slowly blinked at him and nodded. Just don't leave me, please. Stay close.

"I'm so fascinated to learn how you two do that!" Merlin exclaimed as he realized they had been telepathically communicating. "In all my years, I've never seen the likes of it. Even I can't break it," he seemed truly awed.

Liam finally spoke as he squeezed Rayne's hand, "To what do we owe this honor, Great One?" He knew the title would not sit well with Merlin, but he felt like making a small jab at the man for upsetting Rayne. Grandfather or not, Merlin's very manner seemed to be wrong, it was almost forced.

Merlin's smile seemed to freeze at Liam's address. He shifted in his seat and made full cups of wine appear in front of each of them. "As I said, you need to regain your strength. Rayne needs to learn how to bond with her fire, just as she did with the water. For that, she needs strength. This is not something you can help her with, Loki, or as you prefer, Liam." He responded with his own small barb.

Rayne had sat and listened to the two making subtle dives at each other and finally she had enough. Standing up, she yelled, "Oh for fuck's sake, will you two knock off the testosterone match! I get it, you don't like each other, you're worried about the poor little mortal, blah, blah, blah. Just shut up with the mystery, and get to the point already, Merlin."

Merlin's mouth was agape and then he kind of sputtered, not really saying anything, while Liam fell out of his chair as he howled with laughter. Rayne glared at him and he stopped laughing. He regained his seat, leaned over, and kissed her forehead, "I'm sorry ástvinur, but I must say, you do really have a way with words." She blushed and gave a small smile.

"Now, Merlin, just what do you want from me?" Rayne asked again, turning towards her grandfather. It's funny how a few days ago she wanted to meet this man, but now she just felt uneasy in his presence.

Merlin cleared his throat, "Well, I can definitely see your grandmother in you. It is my job to teach you how to bind to fire. A fire elemental doesn't just control flames, it becomes one." He paused to take a drink. "Think back to your battle with Eris. When you used the desiccation powers, you were connected to death and the dead, correct?" Rayne nodded her head. "You had a similar experience with the water in the lake. You could blend in, feel the movement, and even move with the water. That is what you must now learn with fire."

Merlin stood and walked near what once must have been a window. "I know I am not a welcomed part of the family anymore, but you are my blood, and this is my responsibility." He turned to face them, "so will you let me teach you?"

Rayne closed her eyes for a moment and reached out in her mind, seeking her grandmother's guidance. Liam could see the transformation but held her hand still. He knew their bond protected him from her desiccation touch now. Grandmother - do I let him teach me? Her grandmother's voice came to her, Let him train you, but do not trust him. He will seek to influence you and if he can control you. Be safe, my precious one. Rayne returned to normal as she opened her eyes. Did you hear, Liam - she asked as she turned to him. He nodded.

"Where do we start?" Rayne asked as she turned her gaze towards Merlin. He paused for a moment, visibly shaken at what he had just witnessed. Rayne made a mental note of his response.