Chapter 53

Rayne woke to a knock on her door. "Just a minute," she called out as she put a robe on. "Who is it?"

"It's me, lillesøster, open up," she heard Dvalin's voice on the other side of the door and flung it open quickly. She didn't even give him time to step in before she threw her arms around him. He laughed and picked her up in his strong arms.

"You need to get dressed," he handed her a gown, "Put this on and hurry." He was grinning ear to ear.

She paused and looked at the sundial on the mantel. "Where are we going? It isn't time for the ceremony yet, the sun has barely risen?"

He just gave her an impish grin and told her to get dressed. He stepped into the library to give her privacy. When she had dressed, he helped plait her hair into a loose dutch braid, then he led her to the garden. The gown he had handed her was silver with intricate symbols embroidered all over it. The more she looked at it, the more she realized the symbols represented the elements. She looked at Dvalin as he led her to an altar. She saw her grandmother standing behind the altar. The garden was bathed in the glow of the morning light. On either side of her grandmother were Liam, her mother, Lily, Gaoth an Iarthair in his semi-human form, and a beautiful dark-skinned man with golden eyes. It took her a moment to realize it was Sean Dóiteáin in human form. Dvalin let go of her hand as she stood in front of the altar and he took his place beside Lily. Merlin stepped forward from behind her grandmother, and in his hands, he held the Cauldron of Inspiration.

She began to feel her heart race, and then she giggled as she heard both Liam and Dvalin in her mind trying to calm her. Apparently, they couldn't hear each other, but it was still sweet of them. Her grandmother and Merlin stepped towards her, holding the Cauldron. She didn't know why, but she knew she should kneel.

Her grandmother's voice was strong yet comforting, "Rayne Morgan of the Raven Clan, destiny has set your path. You have connected to the elements as witnessed here by your guides. You have faced death, loss, and love with courage and grace just as a Goddess should. On this holy day, The Fates grant you immortality and bestow upon you the full powers of a Goddess."

Merlin handed her the Cauldron that was filled with a swirling silvery liquid, then took a step back. She sipped it slowly, feeling a burning sensation course through her, as a silvery hue engulfed her body. She struggled not to drop the silvery bowl, or to pass out. When she finished the last drop, the Cauldron vanished from her hands. She felt dizzy and disoriented, but she rose to her feet. A rush of sounds came to her ears. She could hear thoughts, and feelings, the very earth beneath her feet cried out. The silver glow expanded as she felt something change within her. Not knowing why she did it, Rayne raised her right arm into the air. In a flash of smoke, a large bird landed on her arm. The phoenix had silvery purple feathers scattered along its wings. "Reven," Rayne whispered. The bird held her gaze and nodded, then vanished as the silver glow disappeared. She was overwhelmed and swayed. In an instant, Liam and Dvalin were on either side of her, steadying her.

"She will need to rest before the handfasting," Rebecca told Liam. "Take her to her room and let Dvalin stand watch." Liam gave her a defiant look, but she was firm in her response. "She needs to rest. That isn't a strong suit for the two of you." Liam finally laughed when he saw the twinkle in her eye.

They helped Rayne to the bed. She clung to Liam's hand for a moment when he tried to leave. He kissed her forehead softly, "Only a few more hours, elskede mín," he said softly as he left the room.

She felt tears roll down her cheeks, but she really didn't know why she was crying. She leaned up against her pillows and saw Dvalin watching her.

"Most Gods and Goddesses are born, not made," he said softly. "Your body is trying to acclimate to it. That's why you are hypersensitive to everything and off balance. Just relax for a bit." He pulled the servant cord to call for a maid. He spoke quietly at the door with her for a moment then she scurried away.

"Did you know? I mean that this would happen today?" she asked him.

"No. I came as you asked for your handfasting, and when I arrived I was summoned by your.. um, by grandmother." he flushed as using the familial term. "I found out about 20 minutes before you did. Liam didn't even know until she started speaking. The look on his face was priceless, by the way." Dvalin chuckled. The maid knocked on the door and brought in a tray with chocolates and wine.

He brought the tray to the bedside table. "Here, the chocolate should help." He gave her a piece and she let it melt against her tongue. She took the cup of wine he offered and drank deeply. It tasted fruity and mixed well with the chocolate.

"So what happens now? Is that it, am I immortal now?" Rayne leaned her head on her arms as she crossed them over her knees. "I guess I was expecting something a bit more, I don't know, just more." She grinned.

Dvalin's laugh was deep, "Only you lillesøster," he grinned at he pulled her into a tight hug, "would think becoming a Goddess was uneventful." Rayne giggled and swatted at his arm as he released his hold on her. "You should take a shower or a nap now. You're getting married in a few hours and it will be a long day. I'll be just outside if you need me" He kissed her forehead and left the room.

She tried to protest, but soon realized she was exhausted, and sleep overcame her.

***

While Rayne slept, Liam paced in Odin's quarters. He looked slightly panicked when Dvalin came to the door. "How is she?" he asked in a rush.

"She's resting," he reassured Liam. "She's a bit overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at once," he laughed. "I get the impression she expected the transition to be grander."

Liam smiled, "I don't think any of us knew what to expect. Messing with the Cauldron was a risky move, even for The Fates." He ran his hands through his hair. "I'm glad you were one of her witnesses. I know she was too." He patted Dvalin on his shoulder.

"She's tougher than she looks, brother," Odin stated, slapping Liam's back. "You two have been through more than most and tonight you will be wed."

Liam grinned at the both. He knew they were right, but he still worried for her. He knew today was just the beginning and there would be many changes she wouldn't understand, but he also knew he would be there for her along the way.

He straightened up and looked at them both. "A drink to my soon-to-be wife and newly made Goddess!" A cask of mead appeared on the table and a mug in each of their hands. They clinked the mugs and drank their fill. Liam was still nervous and excited as the hours ticked by.

***