Chapter twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: as I lay dying

••¤('×[¤ h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊y̯̤͑́́̓́ b̵̸͙̅̽͡ͅr̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟ȍ̸̢̢̮͚̐̚t̴͕͖͓̀h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊r̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟, h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊y̯̤͑́́̓́ s̩͙͖̋͛͟i̵͓͙̱͚̎͟s̩͙͖̋͛͟t̴͕͖͓̀ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊r̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟ ¤]×')¤••

JENSEN GILBERT WAS UNABLE TO SLEEP. He could only feel guilt and grief. Elena knocked on his door, slowly walking in. "Hey Jen," she tried to smile, it only looking forced.

"Hey El," Jensen replied back, looking back to the photo.

"Jeremy and I are going out. Come with us," she says.

"I'm fine here."

Elena glanced around the room, observing it. "Hey, come on. I'll buy you your favorite."

Fucking damnit. You are worrying her. Jensen looked up, forcing himself to smile. He hoped it looked more believable than Elena's. "Where are we going?"

Jensen got off of his bed, walking over to his desk. "Okay, give me a second to get dressed."
••¤('×[¤ h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊y̯̤͑́́̓́ b̵̸͙̅̽͡ͅr̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟ȍ̸̢̢̮͚̐̚t̴͕͖͓̀h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊r̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟, h̶̯̰̝̻̿̓͢ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊y̯̤͑́́̓́ s̩͙͖̋͛͟i̵͓͙̱͚̎͟s̩͙͖̋͛͟t̴͕͖͓̀ę̷̵̧̖̫̗̆̊r̶̷̲͍̭͐̾̀͟ ¤]×')¤••

The siblings had walked to the town square, there had been a few people dressed for the event. Which, Jensen had believed was stupid. It wasn't the sort of event that has needed dressing up. Certainly not the ones as if it is a certain theme party of Halloween party.

"You brought us to see a girl movie," Jeremy complained.

"We had to get out of the house, Jer. This is our three-hour distraction from reality," Elena told the younger one.

"Is that what we're doing? Pretending like our lives aren't screwed?"

"We need to do this, okay? Breathe, eat, sleep, wake up, and do it all over again until one day, it's just not as hard anymore."

They had found a spot that was empty, then they unfold a blanket and put it on the ground. Elena kneels on it. Caroline arrives with a couple of baskets and places them in the middle of the blanket. "Hey! There you guys are. Who's hungry?"

Jeremy sighed. "Are we really doing this?"

Caroline stood up straight. "Yes, we are really doing this. We are going to take a page from Scarlett. We made it through the war," She kneels down on the blanket. " I know you guys went through hell, and my mom knows I am a vampire, so basically it's like Atlanta has burned. And yet, in spite of everything, we persevere."