The Modern Prometheus

Pairings: None
Warnings: None
〔 Frankenstein finds Tao having possession of a book 〕

Frankenstein hadn't thought much about the unusual behaviour of the modified men. It all started when he saw Tao- smiling gleefully like a he did when he usually had a trick up his sleeve- hop into the house, a book clenched close to his chest. He had rushed towards his two comrades, giving them a glimpse of the book.
Frankenstein pretended to not have noticed the way M-21 and Takeo frowned at the book before glancing in his direction.

The book, Frankenstein hadn't seen which one it was, but Tao was seldom seen with books, and so it piqued Frankenstein's interest. If Tao had something he wanted to find out, the internet was his first choice. But since he had brought this book and shown it to the other two, Frankenstein suspected that they were reading it together.
That had only been a theory of his until he heard Tao's voice coming from Takeo's room.

"It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils..."
Frankenstein hadn't stayed to eavesdrop as Tao continued to read out loud, but he was glad the three began to take up on new hobbies.

Frankenstein noticed know the trio would head to one of their rooms after they had completed cleaning up after the children's visits, and he could hear their hushed voices whenever he passed by their rooms. Each of them took turns to read to the others and he could sense their eagerness to finish the book.

One night, Frankenstein sat down at the sofa in the living room, having a few documents left to sign. He took not long to read through the words on the paper before pressing his pen down to sign.
"Boss?"

Frankenstein sensed all three men behind him, and he hummed, putting down his pen.
The trio sat opposite to him, and Frankenstein recognised the book held in Tao's hand as he exchanged glances with his comrades.

Takeo, on Tao's right, turned to Frankenstein, "we just completed reading a novel."
Frankenstein nodded, watching as Tao placed the book on the tea table. His eyes darted towards the title, and a sigh left his lips as he raised a hand to massage his nose bridge.

'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley was the book they had read.
Now it was that Frankenstein understood why he got occasional glances from the trio whenever they happened to be in the same room.
"You want to talk about this?" He asked, straightening his posture.
The three nodded.
"How much of it is true?" M-21 asked. For a moment, Frankenstein worried that they had believed what had been written in the novel, but that was until he noticed that they were only curious and not suspicious.

"How much do you think of it is true?" Frankenstein asked in return.
"Can't be much of the truth," M-21 shrugged. "Otherwise the Nobles would have been mentioned."
"It seems to be more of imaginative work rather than a biography," Tao nodded at M-21's words.
"It was inspired and based off the rumours spread about myself during the era," Frankenstein explained.

Frankenstein believed that the trio had forgotten about the novel after that night.
But that was hopefulness on his side and he couldn't contain his sigh as he one day heard Tao yell: "Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful!" as he used the bug killer spray on an insect that had gotten into the house.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

I wondered what would be the reaction of the trio when they find out about the novel and so I wrote this!😄
Also the text in italics are quotes from the novel.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※