KuniKatai

A request/idea by @rylanzxx! I'll be giving the plot a small twist as I've said

If you were in a toxic relationship, you wouldn't know. As the term, "Love makes you blind", you'll be blind to the obvious mental/physical abuse your lover is doing.

However, watching your very best friend, the one person who you'd trust your life and secrets with, the one person who had stayed with you from the start till the end, being in a toxic relationship is suffocating. No matter how many times you told them that it's toxic, they won't listen to you and you'll have to risk breaking your friendship with them.

Katai felt the exact same way seeing his best friend, Kunikida, being in a mentally toxic relationship. The woman, whom he's dating, found out that Kunikida could be dense sometimes and manipulated him until the blond believed that hugging, kissing and sleeping with other people are perfectly normal actions to do in a relationship. That's the bad part. The worst part? It's that when Katai mustered up the courage to tell his best friend that it was a toxic relationship, the blond would disagree and it ended in an arguement between the two.

Ever since Kunikida began dating that woman, arguements began growing more and more. It was horrible for Katai. They had always got along together easily, without a single argument, yet their first argument was because of that woman.

Today was the day where Kunikida would take a visit to Katai. The brunette wondered if the blond would even visit him due to their recent arguments. The last time Kunkida visited, it ended up as the blond storming out of the house in anger.

He stayed in his futon, rolled up into a burrito as he continued playing his game. The more he played his game, the more his worry about Kunikida visiting grew and finally he stopped his playing his game and peeked at the time. 1:49 pm. Just 1 minute until Kunikida visits Katai thought.

It has always been the same nowadays, the brunette realized. Kunikida went to Katai's house at 1:50 sharp, nagged about his dirty house, Katai casually asking how is his lover, the blond saying something about other people saying she's fine, the brunette saying that she shouldn't even be sleeping with other people and then the argument starts.

As always, he heard the familiar footsteps when the minute hand in the clock moved, making it 1:50 pm. However, there wasn't any nagging which made Katai peeked out from his futon out of curiosity.

Kunikida was there alright, which made the brunette wonder what happened. The blond seemed to be his tidy self as always and nothing seems off about his appearance and presence. However, the only thing that's different is the fact that Kunikida wasn't nagging at him. Instead, he sat down beside Katai and stayed silent.

"Kunikida? What's wrong?" Finally Katai asked gently, breaking the silence. He couldn't stand the loud silence that was lingering between both Kunikida and him. After a few seconds of silence, the blond replied.

"There is nothing wrong"

"Then why are you so silent?" Katai questioned, confidence suddenly building up in him. Kunikida's answer took him by surprise.

"I don't want to argue with you again"

Katai was shocked into silence. Sure, he was expecting an unusual reply, but he wasn't expecting that as a reply.

"Wha-huh-how-" Random words came out from Katai as his mind struggled to form a sentence that makes sense. The blond piped up. "I thought that if I start talking, it'll turn into an argument and I do not want that to happen. I do not like arguing with you, Katai"

The said one stayed silent, uncertain on what to reply. He also doesn't like arguing with Kunikida but he didn't know that his friend had thought that he was the reason why the arguments are happening instead of blaming the brunette.

"Kunikida, it isn't your fault" Katai managed to say to the blond. The blond wasn't looking at him, but at the futon underneath them, like a child that was being scolded by their parents. The brunette felt awkward as he wasn't used to his friend, who was normally so...well idealistic and mother-like, looking so small and down. Kunikida looked at Katai, a hint of desperation and a sparkle of innocence in his eyes.

"Katai, do you think I'm stupid?"

Katai froze. Not because the blond cursed, he has done that a lot when describing the 'lazy suicidal maniac', but because of the sudden question.

"...No" Katai lied, adding a question after. "Why?"

"Shizuka said I was stupid to think that she actually loved me"

That woman again... Katai gritted his teeth.

"Oh? And then what happened?" The brunette asked, definitely not thinking of ways to murder and hide the body. Kunikida let out a small sigh.

"We broke up"

Katai hummed, uncertain on how to reply. There's one thing he's certain of, Kunikida doesn't look like he's going to recover from that any time soon.

"And are you planning to stay sad over that for long?" Suddenly his mouth began moving on its own.

"You do realize that being sad over something and not trying to get over it for long isn't idealistic right? Stand up straight! If you continue to cry over that, you'll be breaking not one, but more than one of your ideals. You said you wanted to be strong to save people, didn't you? Then stand up straight and get over it! Show that woman that she can't break you! You are a strong person, Kunikida Doppo. Act like it!"

Another silence came between them. Katai's eyes widened, alarmed of the sudden burst of words that unleashed from his mouth. The blond stayed silent before pushing up his glasses with his index finger and stood up, the usual determined and serious look coming back on his face.

"You are right, Katai. I shouldn't let something like that to stop me from my dsily activities"

A small grin came on Katai's face as he saw his friend being the same again. Sure, he may need some time to recover, but at least he is acting like how he normally would be.

Still, Kunikida didn't nagged at Katai about his house's condition so the brunette shrugged it off and went back to his game. Then he noticed that the blond was actually watching him playing.

"Wanna play?" He offered.

"No thanks, I'll just watch you" the blond sat down next to Katai. The brunette hummed as response before beginning his game. As Kunikida continues watching how his friend played the game, he suddenly felt his heart starting to beat fast.

What is this unknown feeling?

Ideas: