Chapter 7

Past Memory…13 years ago...

Crosshair had just reached the barracks he shared with his squad; he had been sent off on a separate mission while the rest of the squad were sent to aid a nearby town. The marksman wanted nothing but to get some rest when he received a ping on his comm unit, it was a message from his partner in crime, Gator Tarkin asking him to meet for drinks. Crosshair smiled to himself, he put his stuff down in his and Hunter’s shared room. The marksman left a note for his fiancé, the two had recently got engaged, the leader of the bad batch had tricked the marksman into an emergency during the mission only to surprise him by dropping down on one knee. Let’s just say, Crosshair has never wanted to murder someone so bad.

Reaching over for his phone, he messaged Tarkin to say he was on his way and to buy him his favourite juice. The marksman didn’t drink, the others weren’t too bothered and never pressured him into it. Tarkin was the only one who tried to get the marksman to relax but Crosshair preferred to be on alert. It didn’t take him long to reach the bar on base, it was nicknamed 79s. God knows why, Crosshair never wanted to know as he was sure there was a long tale behind it. All of the soldiers had nicknames and soon enough the nickname was what they were known for, that's why Crosshair went by his nickname rather than his birth name, it had stuck over the years. Only a few knew his actual name and only they used it. 

“Hey Tris! Over here!” A voice belonging to none other than his partner in crime, Tarkin. The man was a few years older than Crosshair but had picked the marksman as his partner as soon as he laid eyes on him. Crosshair smiled, taking a seat beside Tarkin and his other friend, Rampart. Again, he was older but then again most of them were older than him. Crosshair was only 19 but had been in the forces since he was a 10 year old cadet, he had been in proper service by the age of 16 due to the war's requirements. 

“I know you like to relax on a Friday night but I thought since this is our last shift together before you return home. I wanted to throw you a going away party and since you're engaged what better way than to celebrate at 79s” Tarkin smiled as he happily spoke. “First rounds on me!” Rampart called out to the small group, Crosshair glared at him. Thankfully Rampart received Crosshairs message and got him juice. “I’ve got a surprise for you, later” Tarkin whispered as he bought the second round of drinks, Crosshair only smirked thinking about the last surprise being his helmet filled with worms. He still needed to get Tarkin back for that.

After an hour of celebrating, Crosshair decided to call it a night. He was in the midst of standing up when the room spun and his vision darkened, hands grabbed him before his body slumped into the darkness. A voice interrupted his thoughts, “I told you I had a surprise for you. Let’s see if Hunter still wants you after I take you for myself” Tarkin's slurred voice reached his ears. Crosshair gulped, he had been drugged, he couldn’t do anything as his mind slipped into the darkness. 

The next time Crosshair awoke, he was in a bed of some sort, there were bright lights hanging above him. A groan left his vocal cords as he shifted his achy body. He instantly knew he was in the medical barracks. He had no clue why his body was so sore but he hoped it was from a bomb explosion and not what he hoped was a dream. “Easy, Cross. It’s me” the soothing voice of his fiancé reached his ears, Crosshair blinked looking up and saw Hunter looking back at him with concern. “Please tell me it was a dream” Crosshair cried out softly, Hunter shook his head as he pulled his fiancé into his arms, Crosshair cried into Hunter’s chest. He felt betrayed and dirty. Realisation kicked in, he had been raped by who he thought was his best-friend. Hunter remained sitting while comforting his lover. Never in their lives, did they think something like this would happen to them. 

A few days later found the ones known as ‘the bad batch’ discharged and sent home. Crosshair had been checked over and declared unfit for duty, the batch tried to argue but when they found themselves getting nowhere. They all walked away from the army for the time being, one of their commanders kept them on call for possible future missions but at the time being they were more bothered about the marksman's health. Crosshair hadn’t uttered a word in the few days since the incident. Instead the batch either found him cuddled up to Hunter, Tech or him cleaning his 773 Firepuncher which he refused to give back to the army not that their commander could blame him. Tech being his older brother made sure to watch out for signs of anything. The main one being suicide. However, Crosshair wasn’t that stupid, he refused to let this affect him.