Chapter 21

Sadly their silence was interrupted as bullets rained in from the outside into the peaceful home. A cry of pain followed into the night while that pain spread like a wildfire inside a roar of a different pain was heading their way.

"Kix!" 

"I'm alright just a scratch. How about you guys?" Kix answered Fives' call as he looked from behind the counter to see Hunter, Crosshair, Tech and Fives sprawled out on the floor from where they had dived. Crosshair was under Hunter but in Tech's arms. Tech had cushioned his fall.

"We're good. Crosshair is a bit dizzy but that's all" Hunter grunted out as he crawled across the floor and pulled Tech and Crosshair behind the counter. 

"You got any weapons?" Fives asked the former field medic who shook his head. "Jesse has them locked up. We put it behind us" Kix replied, he managed to grab his phone and was currently ringing Jesse. 

"Babe?"

"Jesse thank god" BANG! "Shit!"

"Kix! What was that!?" 

"There are armed people shooting the house up. Me, Tech, Hunter, Crosshair and Fives are in the kitchen behind your lovely bulletproof counter but…" The phone was cut off. Jesse shouted into the phone, he looked at Rex who pushed his police car faster. Rex had offered to his brother a lift since Jesse had left his own car at home or in other words Kix took it. 

"...Jesse?" 

"Kix, what's going on?"

"I love you" Kix spoke softly into the phone. Jesse only frowned until he heard yelling and a scuffle. 

"Jesse call it in" Rex ordered as he pressed his foot harder on the gas pedal, the two could hear the scuffle over the speakers on the hidden phone. 

"This is officer Jesse calling in a shootout at address: 267 Borderville Avenue. Potential victims Five" 

"Acknowledged Officer Jesse. Backup enroute. Ten minutes out. Do not engage"

Jesse grimaced when he heard the last line, he turned to Rex who tightened his grip on the steering wheel and pushed the pedal harder. 

"Officer Jesse? Commander Cody is on his way with his partner and back-up, seven minutes out"

Jesse only winced when his house came into view and there were about six cars filled with a dozen men shooting at the house. In the arms of one of the men was Kix, he looked beaten and defeated. Tightening his grip on his pistols, Jesse getsured for Rex to stop the car. The captain did just that. "Rex, I don't ask for much but Kix is in danger and I'm…" "I'm with you brother. You are not fighting them yourself. It doesn't matter if we lose our jobs over our loved ones" Rex said as he made a gesture to Fives who was being dragged out of the house and forced to kneel in front of the armed individuals.

Meanwhile…

Hunter grimaced as the bullets continued to fly. He, Tech and Crosshair were hidden under the kitchen floor. The space was tight but thankfully Tech didn't mind Crosshair curled up across both their laps. Crosshair had lost height due to the cancer treatment and with him being the thinnest, he was across both of their laps. 

Hunter's back was against the small latch so if it was opened he would be the first out. Tech squirmed when he felt something unusual crawl across his lap, Crosshair only smiled, flicking the little bug away from both Tech and Hunter. The older man had tried to ignore the spider but his fear made him freeze leaving Crosshair the issue in dealing with the little bug.

"It doesn't seem like anybody's here"

"They are here, keep looking"

"What if they aren't?"