Chapter 53

Hunter couldn’t help but keep checking his wrist that held his watch as he watched out of the window for any sign of his lover and eldest daughter. “Relax, they’re fine. I think they just needed some time together” Fives whispered, wrapping up Hunter who sighed. “Probably but I can’t stop worrying, their our world” Hunter murmured, “I know but just relax and talk to the others. Wrecker is happy the younger kids aren’t here but he also looks a little lost having only Hera and Amber to watch for who are with their own parents. Go talk to your brother” Fives suggested, Hunter nodded, going off to find his brother. 

“Everything alright?” Fives looked up to see Echo watching him with concern. 

“Yeah, Hunter’s just being a helicopter lover. Cross is out with Omega” Fives explained, Echo nodded looking at his twin with a sad smile. “Any chance you have seen Tech?”. 

“I thought you were married to him” Fives teased as he shook his head. Echo sighed, patting his brother's arm, “How are you coping with the loss of Jess?” Echo whispered, “Not good. But, I will manage, he was a brother, even if he said ‘he never liked us’, I know our lieutenant did” Fives grumbled, Echo nodded, the two fell silent as Wolffe walked past them. The older brother of the said lieutenant was impassive as usual. 

“Papa” Fives looked down to see a miserable Amber, “Yes poppet” she smiled, “Where’s Omega?”. Fives sighed, “She’s out with her mother” Amber only deflated looking more upset, “I know I miss her too but…” Fives was interrupted by the front door opening and a smirking Omega entering with an impassive Crosshair. Almost like a switch Amber lit up walking over to Omega who got dragged into bracelet making. Fives sighed, thanking the heavens as he couldn’t be bothered to deal with a tantrum, even at fifteen. It would be like arguing with Rex again since the poor girl was raised by the idiot. 

“Fives stop thinking before you brain explodes” 

“Hardy-har, where have you been?” Fives turned to Crosshair who smirked, kissing his cheek. “Here and there, can we talk later?” Crosshair whispered, Fives nodded, kissing his lips before watching Crosshair disappear to greet others. 

“Father?” Echo looked down to see Hera who was blinking back tears, he wrapped an arm around her as she broke down in his arms. Fives took that instant to leave which Echo nodded in thanks for, the man soon found himself talking to some in the police force who he didn’t really have a good relationship with but he was nothing but polite. If he was rude, he was sure Kix and Jesse would come back and haunt him. 

Elsewhere…

He was seething as he looked down at the words on the letter he found in his brother's jacket. Something boiled him more whether it was because of the day it was or the fact that he was more emotional. But, he would corner his brother even if the others were in the room, he would no longer get away from running from the truth. 

Back at the wake…

Fives smiled as he greeted many even Rex who nodded at him, Ahsoka was polite but only for the sake of the situation. There was a missing individual, yep Cody wasn’t there but then again the man had explained not everyone could get the rest of the day off. Even if the man had been fired, he still had one more job to do and he was lucky he could attend the funeral. But sent his apologies about the wake and instead sent Obi-wan to go in his place, the man looked out of place but interacted with the others more out of sympathy more than anything. 

Crosshair found himself sitting with his ‘siblings’ who took any chance to cuddle up to him, even Rose who was in view of Wrecker almost all the time as she asked him too. 

“What do you think dad would do if he found out about that time Thorn had that rat party, where he invited almost the whole school while dad was in service?” Rose asked, lightening the mood.