Chapter 18

“What are you doing out here at this time?” Fives was startled out of his thoughts from where he was sitting leaning against his bike on the floor in his overalls besides Hunter’s truck. The said sergeant was looking down at him with concern. Fives only shrugged as he avoided his eye. “Come inside, you can have the sofa” Hunter gestured, helping the arc-trooper to his feet. Fives made a thank you gesture as he slipped his overalls off, Hunter put them beside Crosshairs in the corridor. It was 04:30am in the morning, Hunter had only come outside because Omega woke after a nightmare without Lula who was in his truck so instead of arguing with his daughter, Hunter went to get it only to find Fives. Speaking of the man, Hunter walked back into the living room only to frown. Fives was in shorts and a lounge top, it was freezing outside. The winter months were on the way, Hunter gently lay a blanket on the man before he flicked the lights off, locked up and headed back upstairs. After dropping off Lula, he headed up to the top floor where his room was and climbed back into bed beside his sleeping husband. Hunter manoeuvred himself as he slipped his arms back around Crosshair and settled his hand on Crosshairs stomach. His love mumbled something which made Hunter freeze, soon enough Crosshair settled and Hunter found sleep again. 

A few hours later, Tech groaned as the alarm went off signalling it was 07:30. They had to be up and ready to leave at 09:00am. Five’s police cruiser would be picking them up with the rest climbing into Hunter’s black Silverado. “Echo?” Tech was met with a groan as Echo rolled over and climbed out of bed. The man quickly puts his prosthetics on out of the habit of his routine and then helps Tech out of bed. The engineer was slightly out of breath but Kix did say he would either have to put up with it or have an inhaler for the next few weeks. Echo insisted on the inhaler, Kix said he would bring it with him to the funeral. After a quick shower together, the two got changed into their suits and headed downstairs. Echo was quite surprised to see his twin asleep on the sofa, he looked up at Hunter for an explanation, the man was quick to explain prior to the early hours of the morning. Echo nodded, accepting his cup of coffee from Tech, he walked over to his twin and slightly shook him awake. 

Fives let out a groan while he sat up, his experience over the years made sure he didn’t attack anyone within range. “Fives, you alright?” Echo asked, looking at his brother in concern, “I’m good, what time is it?” Fives asked while avoiding the looks of disbelief from Echo, Wrecker and Tech. “08:15” Hunter replied looking at his watch, the man was making a small breakfast and dishing it out to Hera and Omega who sat at the table quietly chatting. “Shit!” Fives cursed, accepting his overalls of the half-asleep Crosshair who had emerged from upstairs with a glare on his face. “I will be back to pick you up at 09:00 sharp. Thanks Hunter” “Don’t mention it” Hunter's reply was lost in the wind as Fives ran out the door and climbed onto his bike. The rev of the engine was louder than intended, “Remind me to start plotting his death” Crosshair grumbled leaning into Wrecker who rubbed his back in comfort. Echo only frowned. 

“How’s the headache, Tris?” Hunter asked, aware of the looks of surprise from the batchers since Crosshair hadn’t reacted to his name. “The same as it was five minutes ago when you asked” Crosshair snapped, Hunter turned to look at his love who’s eyes filled with tears straight away. Hunter gestured for Echo to take over which the man did. Hunter quickly made his way over to Crosshair and pulled him in for a hug. “I’ve got you, shh” Hunter’s reassurance was met with a curse from the pregnant marksman, “Damn hormones”. It brought a laugh all around. “Father?” Omega’s voice rang out splitting the two, “From what Wrecker told me, is Amber with grandpa?” Hunter could only nod as his throat struggled to produce anything, he tightened his grip on Crosshair slightly. The marksman didn’t seem to mind but he was the only one who was still in his loungewear and time had passed too quickly, it was now 08:45. “Come on Tris, you need to get ready” Crosshair only sighed as he allowed Hunter to direct him upstairs and into their bedroom.