Chapter 46

Jesse sighed for what felt like the hundredth time from where he sat in the private waiting room beside Thorn and Rose. The two cling to his hands while Dusty and Duster mess around with the vending machine, the two trying to stay occupied despite their dad being in the ICU. Nineteen long hours had passed since Kix had been rushed into the hospital after Tech managed to restart his heart three times, although according to reality Kix should be dead. The engineer was currently blaming himself from where he was wrapped up in Echo’s arms. Many other individuals previously not mentioned were in the room including Crosshair, Hunter, Fives, Tech, Echo, Howzer, Wolffe, Fox and Ahsoka. Even Rex was there as Jesse had asked to have a word with him. 

“Family of Matthias Steiner?” 

A soft voice had Jesse on his feet quicker than one could blink. He walked over to the doctor. 

“How is he?” 

“He’s alive, we barely managed to bring him back. He almost dropped into a coma when we managed to prevent that from happening. After looking at his recent medical history we prevented that from happening and he is awake asking for Jesse which I’m gathering is you” she said with a smile, Jesse nodded following after the nurse while a doctor spoke to Howzer and Fox to deal with Kix’s medical documents and payment.

“He’s just in there, do not worry too much. You have a fighter of a husband” her soft words made him nod as he entered the private room only to smile. Kix was sitting up in the bed, suppose to be resting and yet he was sketching something. Nothing Kix did surprised him anymore as Jesse knew one thing, Kix had been through much worse, he just wished it would all stop for his strong husband. Speaking of husband, Kix blinked slightly as Jesse came into his vision.

“Hey Jess” 

“Kixy, you have no idea how close I was too losing you for good” 

“I don’t go out that easy” Kix teased, earning himself a smile as Jesse kissed Kix’s lips and tucked his smaller husband into his chest. Jesse placed his own chin on Kix’s head rubbing up and down his back in an act of comfort for not only Kix but him as well.

“How bad is the pain? Scale of 1-10” 

“With the painkiller?” 

“Without” 

“7” 

“With” 

“3” 

“Kix, I think you should take the painkillers as much as you hate medication. I’m just thinking of spending as much time as we can and doing everything we want. I can’t stand to see you always in pain and…mmph” Lips covered his own effectively shutting him up.

“You talk too much, I’ve thought about it and I agree. Now please go get the kids, all of them” Kix kissed Jesse who smiled moving to leave the room only to frown as he watched Kix throw the pills in the bin. It would seem they would need to find another way. Jesse knew one thing, he wanted Kix to live his life to the fullest so it seemed he had to get the kids involved as much as he had tried to avoid that. But in the end it was Kix’s decision whether he took the painkillers, they couldn’t force him.

Crosshair was furious, Rex stood in the doorway of the waiting room with a smug expression on his face. Just because the man was a police officer didn’t mean he could get everything he wanted so Crosshair decided now was to act. He walked over to Rex and without warning caught him in a decent punch across the jaw knocking the officer to the ground.

“Crosshair! What the HELL?!” Ahsoka cried out, she had been leaning against Rex only to be pushed aside. 

“Drop the fucking case on Kix now or…”