Chapter 5

Chapter 5

-Pax-

I was on the floor. I don't know how I got there, but that was where I'd spent the majority of the day. Finn seemed to think that teaching me how to land a decent punch meant that he had the pleasure of throwing his fits at me whenever he could. I had dodged most of those punches; the real issue came when he caught my fist and threw me over his back. It made me lose track of where I was, which direction I was facing.

"Not bad for a pup," Finn observed from where he stood above me. "How old are you again? Thirteen?"

"Seventeen," I answered as I got back to my feet. "Not bad?" If he thought I was thirteen then surely his opinion had changed, and he had awfully bad judgement of ages.

"Meh." He was so close; I could feel his shoulders shrugging. "You've got patrol again tonight; we'll work on fighting as wolves tomorrow."

I felt the blood leave my face. If Finn noticed, he didn't say anything as he walked backwards, opening and shutting the door behind him. I wasn't a fan of fighting, never mind in wolf form. I can't even remember the last time I turned into my wolf. Most werewolves would be appalled by that fact, they would ask if I wanted to be a disgrace to the pack I was brought up in. If you didn't turn for a while, you would lose that form.

I would be severely agitated that they would figure out my plan. I was useless to Kian if I didn't have a wolf, there'd be no point in me living with a pack. I used to cling to my wolf for dear life when I was younger, for the same reason. As I grew older, I realised that was all they saw me as, they didn't see me as a person.

I ran a hand through my hair in an attempt to tame the curls. It was getting to the irritating length which meant it ticked the back of my neck and ears. I'd have to ask Rosary to cut it again. It'd only been two months or so since my last hair cut.

I walked through the back door and the kitchen. Finn was sat at the table, scoffing down some food. I hurried out of there to avoid listening to the noises which were a result of that action. The only thing I know to compare it to would be a pig.

Daphne and Alder were in the living room, playing with the wooden cars that they'd brought from their previous house. Kian would be in his office as usual. Which left Cedar and Rosary, probably still in their bedroom.

I paused on the way to my room. There wasn't really much reason for me to be up there, I wasn't needed around the house. I turned one hundred and eighty degrees before heading towards the front door.

It was a little bit colder than yesterday. I wasn't shivering but the breeze was pleasant. It carried the smell of the forest nicely, whilst softening the glare of the sun. I took a few steps down the path and looked behind the biggest tree which outlined the house. I grasped the long stick which was resting there. I've used it for quite some time now.

It was strangely uniform in thickness and texture. It was smooth, save for a few holes here and there. It fit nicely in the palm of my hand; it didn't hurt to hold it for an extended amount of time. I couldn't tell which kind of tree it came from, but it was light and made a good sound when it hit things. It gathered some grooves and scratches along the surface of the bottom due to its use as a guide.

I walked along the same path as I had run down yesterday. I had to do this, to prove to myself that I can do it. I messed up yesterday, but that was without my guide. I'll be able to get there and back today.

The sound of water got louder and louder as I walked, as did the sound of footsteps. They were all exceedingly small creatures, the biggest being a rabbit. I had spent far too long studying the differences between animals' footsteps. I hadn't actually considered the dangers of it until I had run into a badger.