Chapter 45

Chapter 45

-Pax-

"What?" Farley asked as soon as Rowan finished his stance. Fingernails tapped against the sound I associated with laptops, and the darkness which I knew all-too-well became slightly less dark. I still couldn't distinguish much, but it seemed like a light was being shone in my eyes.

"You heard me," Rowan replied. "It came from around the corner. Who knows where they could be now?"

"They couldn't have gotten far," I interjected. "You'd still be able to track them if you go now."

Farley made a disapproving noise int he back of his throat. "We're not going to track them." Someone pulled the wire out from the laptop and the light was removed from my eyes. "It's too dangerous right now. We'll wait until we're able to actually fight back."

"But what if this is our only chance?" Rowan asked. "We could get revenge for what they did."

"Yeah, and we'll all get injured. Where would that leave us?" Farley challenged.

I didn't like to intervene when it came to conflicts, especially verbal ones. I never knew when I was overstepping, not that I had the chance to overstep much back in Kian's pack. I had known Rowan and Farley for over a month, nearly two, and I'm still not comfortable with challenging what either of them were saying.

"No, we'll be able to show that we can fight. Besides, you're not the one in charge here.," said Rowan.

"Neither are you," Farley pointed out. A breeze hit my back. "I'm going to tell Iris and Clementine what happened. Are you coming, Pax?"

I hesitated. "No, I'll stay here for a little while." I offered a small smile in his general direction.

"Cool, see you." His voice was quieter, making me slightly reconsider my decision. Though, I shook my head and shuffled closer to Rowan. I don't need to spend every moment around Farley.

"What's got you staying here?" Rowan asked grumpily. "You don't usually."

"I know," I said with a sigh. "I do usually stick with Iris, but I want to change that." I rested against the pillow which I had claimed yesterday, Mint and coffee filling my senses again. "Though, I've noticed you've been feeling a bit down."

Rowan scoffed. "I didn't know being a psychiatrist was one of your aspiring careers," he muttered. It only caused me to raise an eyebrow. "Sorry, I guess I'm just in a bad mood."

I nodded. "That's what I said," I pointed out. "Want to talk about it?"

There were a few moments of silence. "I just feel like Iris and I's opinions don't matter," he admitted. "Iris got hurt, and I want to get revenge on them for hurting her."

"You will," I said. "At some point."

"Yeah, but when? When will it be safe for us to go out and fight? We'd need decades of training to even compare with them."

I leaned closer to him and whispered, "yeah, but you saw what Farley did to them. He doesn't have decades of experience."

"He doesn't even have decades though," Rowan said. Only adding onto my point. "We're never going to be able to face them, and by the time we do, it'll be too late."

I shook my head. "Rowan, it'll work out. I'm sure you'll be able to get revenge for Iris, if that's what you really want."

"It is," he replied instantly. "Thank you, that's helped convince me." He wrapped an arm around me in an awkward hug. "Now, go make sure that my aunt and sister aren't being lied to, will you? I don't want to say I don't trust him, but Farley can exaggerate or leave things out."