Chapter 8

Chapter 8

-Farley-

I didn't understand why he kept running away. Nor could I help the small frown from appearing on my face. The only reason it wasn't a smile was the worry which was holding me down. Pax seemed to be enjoying the conversation. I had actually convinced him to talk to me. He smiled at me slightly as we were talking. He had a wandering and curious look in his eyes, which still never focused on anything. He looked at me a few times, but never directly.

"Help," Clementine shouted from the living room as soon as I entered the door. I raised an eyebrow and turned my head in that direction. The short woman was standing on a three-legged stool, holding onto the wall. I put a hand over my mouth to stop the laughter. Rowan was standing with a bucket in his hands, blue paint splotches all over him. Iris was standing calmly beside the two, her hair in a ponytail and overalls looking 'aesthetically messy'. "Farley, help."

I shook my head and looked to the wall, a wet coat of paint glistening against the light. "How could I help?" I took my bag off my back and threw it onto the settee. "Think you'd prefer Caspian's help."

"Oh, shut it," Clementine flicked the brush at me, "Just be there so I don't fall." I stood behind her with my arms hovering at her side.

"The stain remover worked too well," Iris told me with a guilty look. "It completely tore through the paint."

"Well, you did say it'd be brand new." Rowan snorted at my words. I reached over and straightened the can so that he didn't spell any onto his arms. "Wouldn't it be easier if I swapped places with Rowan?"

"Yes."

"No," Rowan and Clementine said at the same time. "I am not getting covered in paint, I've managed to go paint free thus far."

"You'd look good in blue though," Rowan whined.

"You would." I turned my head towards Caspian, who was standing with his head ducked in the doorway. "I came to ask if I could talk to Farley, but you seem pretty occupied."

"I'm not." I picked my bag back up. "Iris, I trust you and Clementine would have a wonderful romantic adventure if she were to fall clumsily into your arms."

I ducked out of the way, so a shower of blue was sent my way. "The carpet," Iris exclaimed with slumped shoulders. Rowan started to snigger, causing paint to leak over the edge.

"You're gonna need a new living room at this rate," I told Caspian as he opened the door to his room.

"I've been anticipating it since the three of you came here." I huffed and sat on the chair which Clementine occupied when I was last here. "You went to the forest again," he stated with a look of disapproval.

"Yes." There was no point in denying it. "I talked to him again, it seems like he's never been out of the forest."

He opened his mouth to speak but then it soon became a frown. "I know packs who do that. It's not uncommon."

"But they know about the world. He didn't even know what a bus was, or what you learned about in school." My volume was increasing with every word. I didn't know why I felt so passionate about Pax knowing these things, he wouldn't have to if he lived in the woods his whole life. "He said he'd get into trouble for just speaking to me."

"The same way I told you to be careful?" He raised an eyebrow at me. I bit my lip and nodded, looking down. It didn't matter how long I had been there; Caspian was in charge. That meant I had to listen to what he said, or rather, respect it. "When I say something, I do it for a reason."