Chapter 37

Chapter 37

-Pax-

It had been a month since Farley was kidnapped and taken to the tunnels. It had been a month since our first kiss. It felt like time was moving too slowly and too quickly at the same time. I wanted to treasure each moment, but then I wanted a time where we didn't need to worry about being attacked at any moment.

The days were just like they had been before he was kidnapped. He worked some days and studied the others. Iris and Rowan were spending more time studying, but Clementine and I had joined in. I found it fascinating what people studied in schools, even though they didn't go to one. My favourite subject was maths, as I found it the easiest to understand.

I still went to the gym with Farley, but Caspian joined us. It was very amusing seeing the differences between when Caspian was and wasn't there. Farley was much cheekier and more energetic. He told me that it was as though the gym was his territory, so he had power to say whether or not Caspian could be there and what he could do. Of course, that wasn't the case, but it was a nice thought.

All six of us were sitting in the living room around the table. We had a board in front of us and rolled a dice in order to get our characters across the board. Board games were amazing things to do when bored, which Rowan said is why they're called board games. I didn't believe him, but it made more sense in a way.

"Back to the start!" Rowan exclaimed as I felt the air in front of me shift. I was sitting next to Farley, very aware of our bare knees touching each other.

"You go back to the start," Farley retorted but moved his piece anyway. "Pax, it's your turn."

My piece was near the other side of the board, so I gingerly slid my hand across the smooth surface until I found the person-shaped piece of plastic. I rolled the dice with my other hand and let it fall onto the table. Using the same hand, I trailed my fingers over the diamantes, which Clementine had placed over the dots. I counted and shifted my person five steps.

"A ladder? That's not fair," Iris said. She acted far more like Rowan when it came to games. "You're nearly near the end," she informed and dragged my hand up the board.

"It's beginner's luck," Farley stated. "It has to be."

"Don't you go blaming that for you losing," Caspian said. "This has to be my last game, anyway." The bumping of the dice signalled that it was his turn. "And I may as well leave now."

Clementine scoffed. "We have no chance," she said and rolled the dice. "Or maybe we do."

The conversation about how the game was going helped me to follow it. The first time we played something like this, it was a slight disaster. I kept moving the wrong piece and got frustrated as I forgot what was happening. In the end, it was an enjoyable experience.

A knock came at the door. Everyone held their breath. The person on the other side of the front door knocked cautiously, they didn't bang on the door like many others would have, such as some postmen I had the pleasure of meeting.

"I'll get it," Caspian whispered and stood. His slippers barely made any noise as he stalked towards the door. We hadn't made any adjustments to the house in the past month, none which were relevant to our security anyway.

Caspian sighed and opened the door. "At least you learnt to knock," he commented.

"Not for your benefit, dear," Lana said and stepped into the house, she always tripped over the door frame when she entered. "How is everybody?"

"Not bad," Caspian replied. His response made me jump as I hadn't noticed that he had returned to the table. "Yourselves?"

"Can we answer for us, please?" Rowan asked cheekily. "I think I'm not bad, thank you. How are you two doing?"