Chapter 56

Chapter 56

-Farley-

Kelsey was sitting in a tall tree, her arms clasped around the bark whilst her legs hung down. She was shaking, the colour of her face was washed out, and she looked mortified.

"Kelsey, what are you doing up there?" I asked and rushed to the base of the tree. She wasn't moving, her hands looked like sculpted stone. "You can come down."

She shook her head frantically. "They took him, they took Pax. I'm sorry I couldn't be any help to him, but they were wolves."

I felt the colour drain from my own face. "Did you see anyone you knew?" It was probably a stupid thing to ask, given the fact that they were werewolves that she didn't know anyway.

She looked at me as though she had the same thoughts as I had. "No, Farley. I don't know any wolves, not personally. I've never invited a wolf over for a tea party."

I opened my mouth to correct her, as she had, in fact, invited me to one, but I thought that it wouldn't have been the best comment to make.

"I'll go get the others," Arkin informed before he backed away and ran in the direction we came. At least we wouldn't have to shout for them to come. He was our best chance, as not many would know he was with us. Well, nobody would if they didn't know about werewolves. Arkin and his pack were some of the most secluded wolves in the country, they wouldn't be recognised.

"Do you need help?" Randall asked as he looked up at Kelsey. "I'm not sure that you're gonna last much longer up there."

Kelsey whined like a dog, literally. I was used to werewolves doing it, but I didn't actually know that humans did it too. I guess that says a lot about my social life.

"I don't know how you would be able to help," Kelsey answered.

Randall didn't give anyone enough time to comprehend what he was doing before he started to climb the tree. It was as though he were simply just walking up the tree. He wrapped his arms around Kelsey's back and was soon on the ground with her in his arms.

"Wow, you're shaking like a leaf," he commented and set her down on the forest floor. "You must've seen something truly horrifying."

"Nothing can be more horrifying than your hero alter-ego," Beaumont joked and patted Randall on the back.

"So, what did you see?" I asked Kelsey as I sat next to her. I took one of her hands in mine, they were cold and covered with spelks.

"They fought Pax and took him somewhere," she explained with very little emotion. She sounded like she was just coming down from an immense burst of energy, like she had used up all her joy. "They were wolves, I think I recognised one of them from the gym."

I cursed and had to consciously stop the hand which was holding hers from curling into a fist. Pax had been taken again.

"Seems that people have a thing for kidnapping," I commented bitterly. "That seems to be the only thing that they can freaking do." My voice was undoubtedly getting louder as anger started to drizzle through the filter that was disintegrating like Styrofoam being crumbled under water.

"It's a tried and tested technique," Ralph said.

I jumped in surprise as a crowd of werewolves approached. "That was fast," Randall commented. "That was awesome."

"Did the wolves drag him away?" Moss asked Kelsey with his hands in his pockets. "Or did they have a human with them?"

Kelsey stuttered a few times. "I could've sworn I saw someone with very dark hair and a beard. He looked to be in his early thirties. He was probably one of the wolves." It took her two minutes to get the entire sentence out as she stuttered so much.