Chapter 30

Chapter 30

-Farley-

The street filled me with nostalgia. From the sound that each paving stone made to the cracks which I avoided like second nature. This place was my home for fifteen years, and I would still consider it my home. That wasn't the safest place to go; that'd be too easy to predict. So, Pax and I walked for a few more streets.

He was confused and I wasn't being entirely truthful with him, but that was just because of any ears which were eavesdropping, or could potentially be used for answers. It wasn't common for humans to get involved with werewolf affairs, but anybody could come up to a person and ask if they'd seen me.

The houses grew shorter the further we walked. We went from two story houses to one as we reached the bungalows. That was all we called this area, even though there were street names. Everybody knows what you mean when you say 'pass through the bungalows'.

The sun had less room to hide here, so it hit my back full-force, glaring through the shirt as though threatening to set it on fire. I didn't need to search for the birdbath or bird feeders to tell me when I got to Mary's. I was still uncomfortable calling her by her first name; but she wouldn't accept otherwise.

"Where are we?" Pax asked again. His voice made me feel like I was doing something wrong; I was keeping secrets from him. I technically wasn't really keeping secrets, but I wasn't answering his question. He had a right to know where he was.

"We're at the bungalows," I answered. We had finally slowed down. "Do you know what those are?"

He shook his head. "I've not heard of the word before." He raised a hand to his mouth, reducing the shine which appeared on his skin.

"It just means a single-story house. A house with no stairs," I explained. "I don't think anybody would come here if they're looking for two teenagers."

Pax nodded, but he still had a confused expression. "I'll take your word for it, makes sense, kind of."

I chuckled and opened the gate with my hand which wasn't holding Pax's. "Trust me, I think you'll have a pleasant surprise." I didn't need to knock on the door, it opened before we got halfway down the path.

"Farley, Pax, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Mary asked with a smile. "Come on, come in. You two look like you're about to die of thirst."

Pax waved sheepishly. His eyes were wide, but they were aimed towards the floor. "Hi," he spoke quietly. I wasn't sure if Mary heard him or not.

I shook my head but entered her home. "I'm sorry for the zero notice," I said. "We were just walking around, and I thought I'd show Pax my neighbourhood."

"Walking? You look like you've ran for miles," she put her glasses on the tip of her nose and stared at me. "You're not going on runs for a day like this? You'll melt."

I opened my mouth to reply but before I could I was hit in the arm with a tea towel. "Don't you go making excuses young man. We can't have you neglecting your health." She put the tea towel back on the cream coloured radiator before pointing into her living room. "Now go on in there, I've got a fan running."

I begrudgingly went into the room, pulling Pax behind me. Mary's house had never changed, save for the size of the television and thus the cabinet it stood on. The walls were still the same patterned wallpaper, and the settee was the same flower-patterned material. The fireplace made up half the wall and was adorned in the same dog statues as it always was.

"The nostalgia is suffocating," I joked and moved over to the two-seater.

Pax's shoulders were tense and his head slowly moved left to right. His index fingers were tapping on his leg, it didn't take me long at all to realise that the tapping was in time with the clock, due to the swinging of the pendulum which was in the corner of my eye.