Chapter 61

Chapter 61

-Pax-

Once the doctor was finished dressing Farley's leg, it was my turn to be poked and prodded. I was able to sit on the floor as she worked around me, takin the bandages off and muttering about how I was stupid yesterday. I resisted the urge to comment, as she was doing her job, which I appreciated.

"Right, so you should be able to walk soon," she said as her voice drifted further away from me. "If I see you carrying so much as a heavy book in the next few hours, I will kill you myself."

Farley chuckled at her wording, whilst I huffed. "I think that goes against your job description," I commented quietly.

The doctor didn't make any comment about my remake, instead she said, "I'll be back to check up on you in a few hours. Hopefully you'll be able to walk soon." I hoped that she was talking to Farley, but I had the suspicion that she was talking to me. Her voice was a little clearer, it was as though the sound waves were pushing against me. "I'm sure that there are many wanting to come and see you both."

The door clicked shut. I immediately tried to get to my feet. I had to lean heavily on the table, but I managed. Everything from the top of my ribs and upwards hurt. I tried to relax, but every time I breathed in, a pain shot through my chest.

"You look like hell," Farley commented.

I couldn't help the smile which came onto my face. I shook my head and found the chair which I had been sitting in the night before, moving it as close to Farley as I could get. "I don't need to be able to see to know that you look the same," I retorted. "But how are you feeling?" I reached out for his hand, my fingers trailing down his arm before I found it.

"Sore, in pain, worried, and a little cold to be honest," he listed. He squeezed my hand; his thumb stroked the back of my hand.

"Can I do anything to help?" I asked in a whisper. I knew that the answer was probably no. I couldn't give him any relief from the soreness or pain. I couldn't tell him that everything would be alright, because I couldn't convince myself of that, never mind someone else.

"You could kiss me," he answered.

The suggestion made me freeze. My mind felt like it had finally caught up to the present moment. The past few months came crashing onto me like water in a dam which had burst open.

We had been on a date, we had kissed, we were...whatever we were. I had never imagined that I would ever be in this situation. I felt like I was dreaming. I snorted.

"What?" Farley asked. Confusion was clear. I could imagine him with creased eyebrows, maybe even looking a bit insulted. "Don't want a kiss?"

I shook my head slowly and a laugh escaped from between my lips. "It's easier to believe that I've been shot then...us being..." I gestured in between us with my free hand.

"Boyfriends? Partners? Whatever-the-heck-we-are?" My hand was pulled up and pressed against soft lips. "You're too precious for your own good, literally."

I laughed loudly but the pain cut me off. "Don't make me laugh, please," I begged. I held my stomach and coughed a few times. "Not today."

"I could kiss it better?" he offered.

I stared blankly at him, or at least I hoped I was staring at him. "What's gotten this attitude to show?" I asked with a smile playing on my lips. I didn't mind his teasing, surprisingly. It was something new to me. It made butterflies dance in my stomach and my mind to turn blank.

"Nearly dying," he answered. "You nearly dying." A comfortable silence filled the room. "I think I want to treasure every moment I have. I thought that I had lost you." His voice sounded so sad, scared, and caring. It was a voice I had heard before, but never aimed at me.