Chapter 15

Chapter 15

-Pax-

I got back to the house before their training ended. I tiptoed through the hallways, ducking below windows. I wanted to make sure that Daphne wasn't around, but it was rather tricky. For someone who was rather loud, she was difficult to pin down. Alder was the best clue of where she was, his laughter and the noise of his wooden toys hitting the wooden floor echoed through the house. It faded as I reached the door to my room.

I had left the house in such a haste this afternoon that I didn't think of trying to even pretend to be in my room. I had just hoped that they would assume I was sleeping. I had been reliably informed that I could sleep like the dead if it was a certain day. I had also been told that I wake up at the quietest of noises. I never understood how on earth that was possible, maybe it depended on who exactly was watching me that night. I was always a lot more on edge with Cedar or Finn than I was with Rosary.

I plopped down on my bed and sighed. I appreciated that walk, but the fresh air was dizzying from not being outside for such an extended period. I rubbed my eyes and just sat in silence.

"You're not very sneaky." A voice called from the other side of my room.

A scream got stuck in my throat as I jumped backwards, standing on my bed. I huddled into the corner of my room, a corner which was barely tall enough for me to crouch in due to the slanting ceiling.

Laughter erupted, not a booming laugh, like I was used to hearing, but a choked laugh. "So skittish. I'm actually pleasantly surprised." It was Cedar. His footsteps started to get closer to me.

I jumped off the bed and crossed my arms. "Why did you feel the need to do that?" I didn't often ask questions like this, but I was having a bit of a strange day. There was no need for him to be so quiet.

"You're being feisty today." He stopped walking a few feet in front of me. "Who was that boy? Farley's his name, isn't it?" He asked in a teasing tone.

"Yes," I answered. There was no point in lying to him. "I don't really know who he is, I didn't expect to see him there. He's being bothersome." No part of that was a lie; he had done nothing but bother me since we had met.

"I don't really care about you seeing him." He shuffled and passed me, the springs of my bed making a horrid tune. "I just care that you left without telling anyone."

I chuckled humourlessly. "Who would let me leave? I've been stuck here for a month." My hands balled into fists. "What was I supposed to do?" My voice was starting to get louder

"I don't know, do as you're told?" Cedar snapped. "Look, they're protective of you for a reason now. You can't just go doing foolish things. You're lucky I didn't tell them you weren't here."

He was right, I was extremely lucky that he decided not to tell them. "But what is the reason?" I pleaded. "Why have they got me caged here?" I wasn't being overdramatic, I felt like a wild animal in a cage who was getting ready for slaughter. I had felt this way many times throughout the past eight years, but whenever I felt that way, I was always able to go for a walk in the forest.

"Because your wolf is black," he said as though I should've already known this. I must've looked incredibly clueless, as he continued, "there aren't many black wolves left. Those who are black wolves, were said to be the descendants of the first ever werewolves."

My mouth became dry. I didn't believe him. I had probably turned in front of them before. There was no reason I should believe him. They did sound surprised when I turned into my wolf last month. Surely, if my fur was black, they would've noticed sooner.