Chapter 26

Chapter 26

-Farley-

I woke up to Pax's arm wrapped around me, his head snuggled into my chest. My heart warmed as I looked down to his angelic face. Angelic wasn't a word I used very often. Yet it represented Pax perfectly at the moment. The white of his shirt reflected off his pale skin, making it look like it was glowing. His hair was a mess, but when wasn't it? He could really do with a haircut, that's something I wasn't going to be suggesting anytime soon.

I jerked as his eyes opened, he stared at me intensely. I held my breath until I remembered that he couldn't see me.

"At least I didn't wake you up this time," I told him with a smile on my face. It was an attempt to keep myself calm, as opposed to how I felt just a few minutes before.

Pax sat up, cheeks becoming cherry red. He rubbed his fingers together, of the hand which had been hugging me.

"Sorry," he said so quietly I had to lean forward to grasp what he said.

"No need to be sorry, you looked comfortable." I crossed my legs and rested my head on the palm of my hand. "I don't have work today, but I do have studying to do."

I didn't know why I was telling him this so early, I could've at least waited until we were ready or had breakfast.

"Studying, for school?" Pax asked.

I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "Yeah, I still study even though I'm not at university. I'm still not sure what I'm doing with my life, but I think Caspian's going to sign me up for A-level exams soon."

Pax's eyebrows were furrowed, and his head tilted to the side. "I'm just going to go with whatever you say."

His words made a chill go down my spine. He shouldn't have to just go with anything that I say. What gave me the right to have that authority?

"Careful," I told him. "I might be a rival pack member who only wants you for your heritage."

Pax bit his lip and let out a sarcastic laugh. "Whatever would I do if that happened? I'm helpless."

I got up and put a t-shirt on which was hanging on the side of my wardrobe. "And we're going to change that," I told him. "You could at least run away, there's no chance of me catching you if you sprint."

His spine straightened, a proud smile curving on his lips. "Really?" I wasn't sure if he actually wanted confirmation or not, but I hummed in confirmation. "With what you did yesterday, I'm sure you're faster than me."

I shook my head, glancing over at Rowan, who was still sleeping. "I might show you the park later," I told Pax before leaving the room.

I had a quick shower and then brushed my teeth. I got ready and moved back to my room where Pax was still sitting in the same spot, but he was talking to Rowan this time.

"You have to try her fudge," Rowan said. "It's the best thing you'll ever taste."

Pax was just sitting and nodding politely with a smile. "Is it?"

Rowan nodded, unaware of the fact that Pax was struggling to converse. "Farley, you took your time." Rowan walked past me and into the bathroom. "Been waiting a good half an hour."

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked towards the clock, scoffing when I saw I wasn't even gone half an hour. "He likes to exaggerate," I told Pax, once again with no particular reason in mind.

"I think I understand that," Pax said.

I took a bag from the corner of the room and held it out to him. "Your clothes are dry."