Chapter 53

Chapter 53

-Pax-

I kept my word. As soon as Farley shut the door behind him, I counted down the seconds from 120. When I got to 180, I gestured for someone to follow me before heading towards the door, but I was stopped.

"Why are you leaving?" Iris asked with worry. "I don't think that it's a good idea."

"But Farley and Brin left," I argued. "I should be able to leave."

"Yeah, but you're the..." she trailed off. I knew what she was going to say, and I didn't like it. She was about to say that I was the reason that we were in here in the first place. I was the black wolf which caused the need for a shelter anyway.

"But Farley is out there," I repeated. "He could be in danger. Abilene said that allies were coming, this didn't seem like something that would be caused by allies."

Iris sighed, her voice was no longer projecting towards me, but the direction of the bed. "As long as you're safe but take someone with you. They were stupid to go alone."

I wanted to argue with her, to tell her that if that's what she thought, then why didn't she bring it up earlier? But I didn't. Instead, I felt a gentle breeze as someone's shirt sleeve brushed against my arm.

"I want some action," Channon announced.

"We can all go together," Channing said.

I had a twin on each side. I was told that they were identical, unlike Rowan and Iris. The comment about how rare twins were, and we had the opportunity to have two pairs, was one which came up in conversation every now and again. Though I found it easy to tell the boys apart, I had been informed it was difficult.

I nodded and opened the door, stepping out to be greeted by a strong breeze. I knew immediately which direction to go in. The smell of coffee and aftershave was carried in the wind.

I didn't hesitate to rush around the corner, the twins' feet vibrated behind me. I paused before rounding the corner, and listened for something that would indicate an enemy.

"Stay calm dad," Farley's voice called. "It'll be better if you stay calm."

My breath caught in my throat, and I rounded the corner. I didn't know what was in front of me, but I instinctively sank to the floor around five paces into the street.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I knew that I was in the right place as Farley's breathing was louder than I had ever heard it.

"I don't know," Farley told me. "He's struggling to breathe."

I nodded. "Check his pulse and his heart rate," I told him. I was sure that in any other situation, with any other person, he would've already done it.

He hummed, the noise breaking in his throat. Two shadows fell over me, blocking out the heat from the sun.

"It looks like what happened to Eben, Ralph, and Karim," Channing said. "He'll have to go back and get looked after. I think it's similar to what happened to Rowan."

"Where's Abilene?" Channon asked. "She has to be around here somewhere." His voice was panicked, and I didn't blame him at all. Abilene was a part of their pack, and they grew up being cared for by her.

"Can we go look for her?" the twins asked in unison.

I sighed and shook my head. "Help us with Brin first," I instructed. I felt like I was out of place by commanding them to do anything. I wasn't their alpha, but he wasn't here right now. It felt a little natural for me to assume the role in his absence.