Chapter 42

Chapter 42

-Farley-

I couldn't tell how Pax was feeling for the rest of the day. He was quieter than usual and always stared in front of him with a thoughtful expression. Pax being quiet with his eyes wandering was an everyday occurrence, but this time it felt strange.

There was something wrong with that feed, Pax's parents hadn't been seen for years. It was clearly Cedar and Finn talking about Daphne, but there was something suspicious about the two who claimed to be Pax's parents. They did look like the ones in the photographs Caspian showed me, but I couldn't tell if they acted the part.

"Have you seen this?" Pax asked as he poured over Harlow's iPad. "It talks to you." His excited tone made me smile. I think Harlow was able to tell that Pax had a lot on his mind, so he offered his iPad as a distraction. We were sitting in the back garden again, Harlow, Iris, Rowan, and Clementine sat with us, whilst the latter two periodically were called to do some training in the limited space. Our door would be getting fixed today, but for now, we're going to pretend like the door is open for a reason, despite the slight draft.

"It's cool," I responded. "Do you know how to work it though?"

Pax shook his head distractedly. "No, but it's fun." He tapped on the screen, and it read different news articles to him.

"Keep reading things like that and you'll be all up to date with what's happening in the world," Iris commented. Her leg was significantly better than it was the night before, but she still limped a lot.

"Or incredibly stupid and confused," Rowan retaliated with a snort. "You never know what you can believe with news and things like that."

I hummed with a nod. "Yeah, some sources are more trustworthy than others. But I don't think that the Guardian is a bad source."

Rowan shrugged in response. "You never know," he sung. "Is that your phone?"

I opened my mouth to questions that he meant, but then my ringtone came to my ears. "You've been eating carrots, haven't you?" I teased.

Rowan huffed. "Carrots are for eyes," he called after me.

My phone was plugged in and left on the kitchen counter. We usually kept them in the living room but thought that it was best to keep them as close as possible. I narrowed my eyes at the number which wasn't in my contacts before clicking the green icon and placing it to my ear.

I waited for another person to talk, that was regular practice when you didn't recognise the number on the screen. You never know what kind of vocal cues scammers are after.

"Farley?" A very familiar voice asked. "Is that you?"

"Kelsey?" I asked. "What's wrong? You haven't used my number in ages."

"There's someone at the gym," she whispered. "They came looking for you, they didn't like it when I said you weren't here."

My heart dropped. Kelsey's voice was shaking, and her breathing was audible.

"It's alright," I said in an attempt to reassure. "I'll come and-"

"-no, don't come," she interrupted. "They're ransacking the entire gym looking for you. I already pulled the alarm."

I rolled my eyes. The police wouldn't be able to do anything if those who were there decided they had enough of being human and turned into their wolves. "Do you recognise any of them?" I asked as I unplugged my phone and turned towards the window, gesturing for Clementine to come in, naturally everyone followed.