Chapter 57

Chapter 57

-Pax-

Standing on that stage wasn't the most terrifying thing in my life. That award goes to the sound of Farley's painful howl as wolves launched at us. I didn't know how many there were, but there were quite a few. I could feel Farley's warmth, smell his familiar scent of coffee and mint. I could tell that it was him from the moment he entered the room.

I admit that it was stupid to call out to him, but I was scared. I am stills cared and I hoped to anything that was out there that I didn't make another stupid mistake like that one which could get us both killed.

I didn't know who was on my side, but I fought any wolf which came close to me, save for the ones that I knew well. Clementine's scent of flowers and paint crossed my path once, but then I could only guess who the other wolves were.

Farley remained by my side, and we started to fight together. I didn't know that wolves were charging at me until they got very close, so I couldn't prepare as much as Farley could. With each wolf that came closer, Farley took them on until another wolf came my way. I would begin to fight the first wolf until they were far enough away, or too injured to fight back.

I felt awful for doing it. Not only because of my broken paw, but because of the fact that I was injuring wolves who may or may not deserve it. They were attacking me, yes. But they weren't the ones to interrupt a seemingly innocent auction and then start attacking.

But was the auction really that innocent? I didn't know. I didn't know how the word got out about the auction, even though I could probably guess.

There was only one human voice which echoed through the room, Daphne's. She was screaming at the top of her lungs that we were under attack and that everyone should get out. Nobody listened. She pleaded and begged, all of which tugged on my heartstrings, but none of which were believable.

I wondered if Alder was safe, he had just been in the hallway a few moments ago. Surely, he could hear what was going on? Surely someone had passed him in the halls. I wondered if Farley had, but he also seemed to have come from the opposite direction. I didn't know the layout of the hallways, even though I did try to figure it out as we were walking.

A wolf tried to tackle me, but Farley jumped in its way, dropping another wolf in front of me. The wolf who had tried to tackle me growled and snarled. Farley's tail hit me lightly in the face as I dove for the wolf which was now on the ground. They clawed at my face, cutting just below my eye.

I backed away and let the wolf get to their feet, just so we had an even chance. Their paws clicked against the laminated floor, and I dodged, darting to the side as they reached where I had previously been. I couldn't do that again, so I lowered myself to the ground and waited. But that wolf wasn't the only one who tried to attack. Wolves came from both sides of me, and they both pushed me to the floor, each digging their teeth into one of my sides, one went for my right shoulder, and another one went for the left side of my stomach.

I growled in frustration as I tried to get back up. The pain was making my head bang and my stomach scream with each movement, but I carried on. I wasn't sure if anything important had been hit. I was bleeding, that was for definite. But I was going to fight until I couldn't anymore.

Farley was alright. That thought was keeping me going, along with the rest of the pack of course. They were my highest priority. That was wrong for me to think, but it felt too right. It was like the wolf, the leader, inside of me wanted to take charge and ensure that those on my side would survive.

I clawed at, bit at, and scratched at anyone who came towards me and the ones who posed no harm. I didn't know if it was intuition, or if it was familiarity. But there was somehow an easier way of telling who was on which side. My instincts took over and I defended some of those who I didn't know, and I made the first move in attacking my foes.

Then the wolves began to drop. One by one, they all fell to the floor. Whether they were injured or not, whether they were on our side or theirs.

"You know," Daphne said from the front of the room. "They say that modern technology is far more effective than the old. I like to disagree." She sounded smugger than I had ever heard her. She didn't even sound like this when Kian was killed. "Do you know what you did wrong?"

I huffed and shook my head. It hurt to do that. In fact, I hurt all over. I was bleeding from several places, not just my side and my face. I tried to get closer to her, but the fallen wolves created a maze which I couldn't navigate around.

"You underestimated me. You thought that I didn't have the guts to use wolfsbane again. You thought that just because I was in...why are you looking at me like that?"

I wanted to ask, 'like what?', but I knew exactly what she was talking about. She wasn't telling the truth. I didn't underestimate her, we always planned to suit the cruellest intentions of hers, we assumed that we didn't know what to assume. We considered her using wolfsbane because she'd done it before. I didn't know what the others had talked about whilst I was stuck here. I didn't have any part of the planning.

But I wasn't going to blame them, because I was stupid. I shouldn't have gotten kidnapped in the first place. I overestimated my own abilities.

I started to growl without realising it. The low rumbling of my chest gave me a fright when I recognised what it was.

Daphne laughed. "I don't know why we're still doing this. I have the upper hand." A metallic click came from her direction and fear flowed through my body like a wave. I didn't know what she had in her hand. I didn't know her intentions. I didn't even know who was next to her. "I suppose I should do it myself."

"No!" a voice that I recognised as Iris' called out.

I didn't know what was happening when pain shot through my chest. My body immediately collapsed to the ground, and I began to get warm all over. It was like lava was being poured through the wound, filling each part of my body with a searing pain. The same noise came again, and again. Then growls filled my ears.

I was rolled over and someone gasped. It sounded as though I was underwater. My breathing quickened and my mind blurred. I couldn't see anything of use, so I shut my eyes and prayed that everything was alright. I wasn't going to die; the pain was going to stop.

Nobody heard my prayers, not only because I was praying in my head, but there weren't many wolves awake who could help. If Iris was here and had yelled, then that means that she was in her human form. Was she alright? Was Daphne in a similar position to me? What about Alder? Farley? Anyone?

Hands stroked my fur and noises came in and out of my comprehension. Then there was nothing

Hello lovelies!

I hope you're all doing well :D

The question of the chapter is: do you have anything interesting on your desk right now?

I'd probably say the most interesting thing I have on my table is an ocarina, which I don't know how to play yet :')