Chapter 47

Chapter 47

-Pax-

I lay on Farley's legs for what felt like no time at all. I had my eyes closed and was enjoying the sensation of his fingers running through my fur. It tickled and sent shivers down my spine. The voices from inside reached my ears, and was the only thing stopping me from completely relaxing.

"What happened?" Aiden asked.

"We don't really know," Caspian replied. "We just found him like this. He had been talking about getting revenge, apparently, so we assume that had something to do with it."

"Ah, he does seem ambitious," Ralph responded. "I think he's alright, though, this does look very familiar."

"It does?" Clementine asked.

"Yes, it looks similar to what happened to our mother," Aiden explained.

"But this is worse," Harlow added.

"I think it would be because of the werewolf gene," Karim explained. "Some wolves are more susceptible to the poison. Rowan's only young, so it hasn't affected him majorly."

"Poison?" Iris asked with a squeak. "I'm getting mixed messages. Will he be okay or not?"

She had a good point. I didn't know what poison Karim was talking about, but the word in itself brings a raincloud of dread.

Karim sighed. "I think he'll be alright, but it will take some time to recover."

Howls came from the forest, causing me to jump to my paws and growl. Something was wrong. Farley wasn't far behind me, turning into his wolf and nudging me to say he was there.

Steps came from all directions, from inside the house and the surrounding forest. There was a wooden gate around the back of the garden, which had been opened by Ralph and Aiden, so there was a barrier between us and the tens of wolves on the other side.

Farley growled and launched forward. There wasn't a wolf within thirty feet of us which wasn't on our side, so he must have seen something.

I followed him out of the gate and into the forest. The vibration of the forest floor felt like waves of water rushing down the stream. There was a wave behind us, and two in front.

I didn't know which wave in front was the enemy, but they were approaching quickly.

I ducked out of the way of a wolf which launched at me. Their breath hit my face and their steps stopped near me, a sure sign that they leaped.

There was around twenty wolves all together, which wasn't much considering the size of Ralph's pack. Though, one thing did concern me, and that was the fact that there were very young wolves involved. I was sure that there were at least four teenagers in the group. I couldn't concentrate on that as I leaped out of the way of another wolf.

Any wolf who attacks me is an enemy, that was a motto I had used whenever I was in a fight. Those who were allied with me, knew not to go near me or direct the fight towards me.

We had over a month to work this out, it was far easier then working out a strategy which would be effective. Leaping out of the way was the best option.

I was quick, one of my best qualities. I was able to dive out of the way at the smallest invasion of personal space.

I didn't recognise any of the wolves' scents. So, they weren't a part of Kian's pack. They must be one of the packs who were just after the black wolf. I seemed to be getting a lot more traffic than what I was used to.