Chapter 11

A/N due to a recent loss I will be updating only on Mondays for the foreseeable future, Thank you for reading!

Chapter 11

-Pax-

The marbles fell as three harsh knocks came from the door. I froze with my hands in the air, a marble between two of my fingers. I think that my door has been knocked on about three times in all my years here.

"Yes?" I asked carefully, I could safely assume that it was Cedar who knocked on my door. Even though I've not heard many knocks on my own door, nobody would dare enter other rooms without knocking first.

The door creaked. "Kian wants to see you in his office." It was Cedar. I scrambled to move all my marbles where I wouldn't stand on them coming back, then followed him out of the door. I made a conscious attempt not to think of why I had been called to his office. Maybe he had found out I lied to him earlier, maybe he's changed his mind about me going on patrol. Both of those were possible; neither of them were preferable.

"He was playing with his building blocks," Cedar teased. I was immediately alerted by the familiar smell of coffee, mint, and chemicals. I tried not to let the shock show on my expression. Farley was here, his presence was undeniable.

"I'd like to see a building made out of marbles," I muttered. Everyone heard me, but nothing was said. I could feel several pairs of eyes on me.

"Pax," Kian said. "Come here."

I shuffled forward. I wasn't quite sure where I was meant to be going other than towards his voice. My hand was suddenly grabbed and put on something soft. My eyebrows furrowed and a small frown settled on my face. "What am I touching?" It was a person; I knew it was a person. But why was I touching a person?

"I'm pretty sure you know this young man here," Kian spoke as he circled me. "Since you can't see if you know him, feel."

"I don't just go feeling people's faces," I exclaimed, my voice breaking slightly. This was Farley. The heat under my fingers increased, the blood rushed to his cheeks. I tried to take my hand away, but it was pushed back onto Farley's face. "Why am I touching a stranger?"

"Because I don't think he is a stranger to you." Even if I knew Farley's name, we had two conversations together. I wouldn't know his face by touch. I didn't know anyone's face by touch. I wouldn't dare ask anyone at the packhouse.

"I've never met this man," Farley lied convincingly. "What's wrong with him?" Okay, that wasn't nice. If Kian's not going to let me remove my hands, may as well do as he wants me to. Farley's rudeness only fuelled my mischief.

I started to trace his facial features very softly, my fingers barely touched his skin. He had strong features, but soft cheeks. His cupid's bow was pronounced, and he had a cleft chin. His nose was rather large, and his eyebrows were bushy. He shivered under my touch, causing me a struggle to hold back my grin.

"Nothing's wrong with me," I replied due to the lack of input from any of the others in the room. "What's wrong with you? Ignorance?"

My hand was pulled away with a huff. "I don't believe him," Finn announced from the other side of the room. I winced; I didn't know that he was there. It was difficult to tell between Kian and Finn unless they were extremely close. The two of them smelt remarkably similar and had a similar build.

"I do," Kian responded flatly. "At least some of it." Silence filled the room.

I inhaled deeply, still consumed in Farley's scent. "So why are we here?" I didn't like sounding as useless as I did.