Chapter 7

Chapter 7

-Pax-

I bolted out of the door when it was time for patrol. Any previous thoughts about how bitter I was vanished. Any previous assumptions about Kian's plans had completely moved from my mind. I was doing something which would be considered work for the pack, after doing a decent job. My younger self would've jumped at any opportunity like this, so I was going to be happy about it.

The sun was low in the sky, but it was still there, when it was time for me to head out on patrol. I didn't know what time it was, it just felt like it was a good time to head out. I wore a simple vest and shorts; there really wasn't much of a need to care about what I was wearing.

Patrol was simple, walk in circles and report any disturbances. The patrol lines were where I walked down yesterday, they were simple and looked after. We didn't mind some grass or flowers popping up along the trail, but that didn't stop Rosary from keeping bushes trimmed and twigs cut.

The birdsong was starting to die down the further I got. The rushing water from the stream was still going. It never stopped rushing, it was a lovely thing when it came to grounding meditations, but ultimately, it was annoying.

I didn't take my stick with me on patrol. If there was anyone on the path, it would be difficult to explain what I was doing with a large stick in hand. It would be hard enough to explain as is. The thoughts of that man drifted back to me. He had a nice voice and seemed really talkative. I wasn't talkative. I didn't understand how he could just talk to a stranger like that, so casually. It seemed as though we were almost friends, a thought which I considered ridiculous.

I was facing the ground, and my attention was elsewhere. Until the ground moved beneath my feet. I froze and lifted my head. "Hello again," a very familiar voice called. "Pax, isn't it?"

My shoulders slumped as I glared in his direction. "Yes," I said simply, walking past him. "You're still on private property."

"Still no sign up." I could imagine him pointing towards me as I travelled the way he came from. "How was your day?" I didn't answer. "Mine went pretty well. I had work today. I work in a gym." My head turned in his direction out of curiosity. "A gym is like, where people go to get fit and work out." His voice wavered in confidence. I didn't understand why people would need a gym to do that. "I know, I am a little young to be working there. It's kind of for all ages, so I've been going there since I was about thirteen."

This man could talk for England. I had no interest in talking about my day. Though his day sounded interesting, I was intrigued by many of the words he used. He'd mentioned busses again, along with some machines that he used at the gym. What was the point in having a rowing machine if you could just go on a boat?

"So, you're actually listening?" I hadn't noticed that I'd stopped walking, nor that he had stopped talking. "I know I'm not that boring."

"Don't flatter yourself." I shook my head and listened to the leaves crunching under my feet. It must have been really windy to cause this many to be on the ground around summertime. "I don't have much of a choice, you seem to want to break all the rules."

He let some air out of his mouth which sounded like a horse. "Talking to you is breaking a rule?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "You being in this forest is breaking a rule, ignoring you is just a preference."

His footsteps stopped, mine did not.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He jogged to catch up to me. "You're just not a talkative person?" I nodded. "Well tough luck, you seem to be a good listener." I stopped and stared in his direction for a few seconds. "Okay, I didn't mean it like that. Is being friends so bad?"