Chapter 34

Chapter 34

-Farley-

After a while, the smell of vinegar started to become bearable. The smell of aconite still burnt my nose and made me feel weak, but I was coming to my senses again. I peeled my eyes open to be greeted with a wall. Something was different from the last time I woke up. I felt like I had been moved, closer to the forest. The scent of pine filled my nose, making my body jolt with awareness.

I craned my head to see that there was nobody there. The lantern was still on the floor, offering little to no light. My wrists and legs were still bound together, but now I could focus on that.

It was difficult to raise my legs enough so that I could untie my ankles, but if worse comes to worse, I'd rather have my legs then my fists. The knots weren't tight, but they were complicated. I had to backtrack a few times as I had only made the knots even tighter.

I got one foot out of the knot and decided to just tuck the rest of the rope inside my shoe, wrapping it around my ankle. It would save me enough time to focus on my wrists.

They were much tighter and more complicated than my ankles, as though they were tied by two different people. I had to use my teeth a few times, but that didn't bother me. Something which did bother me was the fact that I felt like I was wasting time. There was urgency and fear in my actions, but surely there's a better way to get out of this.

Clanging came from my right, causing me to speed up even more. My fingers trembled and I found it tricky to keep a hold on the rope. I scrambled over to the lantern and hit it, breaking the glass and blowing out the flame which was inside.

I took a piece of the broken glass and held it to my wrist, sawing through the thick rope. The sound of the sawing, sounding like a very annoying zip on a coat, bounced through my head.

I realised that I was stupid for blowing out the candle when I tried to figure out my surroundings. I couldn't see very far in front of me.

I sighed and shifted into my wolf. Suddenly, the world became brighter, like I was opening my eyes for the first time. I was in a tunnel, there was an opening in front of me and two openings on either side. Daphne must have come from the one in front of me, at least it felt like that's where she came from earlier.

So, I went to the right. I didn't want to accidentally run into her or anybody else who was a potential enemy.

My body still ached, and my face was burning, but I ignored it and focused on the ground beneath my paws. The dripping had come from a leaky pipe a few feet away from where I was previously lying. In fact, it was impossible to walk a few feet without being dripped on.

The scent of the forest grew stronger, motivating me to keep going. I could follow it easily, easier than it should be. I was in a tunnel in the forest, an easy conclusion to come to, but the forest had either moved, or I had. None of that made sense, I wasn't in a different place.

I shook my head and ran past rats and some other small furry animals which were angry that I was invading. Some parts of the tunnel were blocked by heavy black bars. There were grates above me, signalling that it was still daylight outside.

Voices came from my left.

I skidded to a stop and backed up. "Not wanting to turn back huh? Understandable." Cedar's voice rang out. "We knew that you'd come for him. Granted, we thought it would take you longer."

I peeked around the corner. Two wolves were behind bars, one I recognised as Iris. The other was the most stunning wolf I had ever seen. His fur blended in with the shadows, the sparkles in his eyes the only indication that he wasn't a trick of the light. That had to be Pax.